Install On A Canadian Galaxy S4
The Galaxy S4 is getting an update to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop. The Galaxy S4 came with Android Jelly Bean originally but Samsung has announced that they are releasing an update for it.
The update to Lollipop has hit many Galaxy S4 variants already. One of the latest variants to get this update is the Canadian variant which carries the model number SGH-I337M. This update is being rolled out through Samsung Kies, but as is typical for Samsung, it is hitting different regions at different times.
If you have a Canadian Galaxy S4 and the update has not reached your region yet, you can either wait or flash it manually. If you decide to flash it manually, we have a good method that you can use. Follow along with our guide below and install Android 5.0.1 Lollipop on a Canadian Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M. We will also show you how, after updating, you can gain root access on the device.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide should only be used with a Canadian Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M.There are several variants of the Canadian Galaxy S4 and below is a list of the variants that are compatible with this device.
- Fido Mobile Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M
- Telus Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M
- Bell Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M
- Rogers Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M
- Virgin Mobile Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M
- Sasktel Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M
- Koodo Mobile Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M
Using this guide with other device could brick the device. Check the model number by going to Settings>System> About Device.
- Charge battery so it has at least over 50 percent power. This is to make sure that you don’t run out of power before installation finishes.
- Enable USB debugging mode by going to Settings> System>About Device. In about device, look for Build Number. Tap build number seven times to enable Developer Options. Go back to Settings>System> Developer Options>enable USB debugging.
- Back up important SMS messages, call logs, contacts and media content.
- Back up your EFS partition.
- If you have a custom recovery installed, make a Nandroid backup. If you don’t you can skip it.
- Factory reset your phone by first booting your phone into recovery mode. Turn you phone off completely then turn it back on by pressing and holding down the volume up, home and power buttons. In recovery mode, wipe your factory data.
- Disable Samsung Kies on your phone and Windows Firewall and any Anti-virus programs on your PC first. You can turn them on when installation is over.
- Since this is an official firmware from Samsung, the warranty of your phone will not be voided.
- Samsung USB drivers
- Odin3 v3.10.. Install this on your PC.
- The proper firmware for your device.
Update Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M To Android 5.0.1 Lollipop
- Open Odin3.
- Connect phone to PC in download mode. To do so, turn phone off completely. Turn it back on by pressing and holding down the Volume Down, Home, and Power buttons. When your phone turns on and you see a warning, press Volume Up to continue. You are now in download mode.
- Plug in the data-cable and make the connection between your phone and the PC.
- If the connection was made correctly, the ID:COM bar on the top-right corner of Odin should turn blue or yellow. This means that Odin3 now detects your phone.
- Load downloaded and extracted firmware file, this should be in .tar format. Click the “AP” tab and find the extracted .tar firmware file. If you have an older version of Odin, use “PDA” tab to load the firmware file.
- After you have selected the file, Odin will begin to load it. This could take a while so just wait.
- If you see the Auto-reboot option in Odin is un-ticked, make sure to tick it. Otherwise you should leave Odin as is. It should match the photo below.
- Flash the firmware by clicking Start.
- Wait for Odin to complete the installation. This could take a few minutes, so just wait. When you Odin finishes flashing, the ID:COM box will turn green and your phone should automatically reboot.
- When your phone reboots, disconnect it from the PC.
- You can also reboot your phone manually by disconnecting it and keeping the power button pressed for a while till it turns off. Turn it back on by pressing the power button.
- The first boot will take up to 10 minutes, again, just wait.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible
- Download & extract CF-Auto-Root-jfltecan-jfltevl-sghi337m.zip[extract the file once only.]
- Put phone in download mode. To do so, turn phone off completely. Turn it back on by pressing and holding down the Volume Down, Home, and Power buttons. When your phone turns on and you see a warning, press Volume Up to continue. You are now in download mode.
- Open Odin3
- Click “AP” tab in Odin and select CF-Autoroot.tar file that extracted in step 1.
- Let Odin load file and connect the phone to your PC
- If the Auto-reboot option is un-ticked, make sure to tick it. Otherwise leave all the options as is.
- Click the start button and Odin will begin flashing the Auto-Root file.
- When flashing ends, phone should reboot.
- Check your app drawer to make sure SuperSu app is there. If you are asked to update the SU binary, do so.
- InstallBusyBoxfrom Play Store
- Verify root access withRoot Checker.
Have you installed Android Lollipop and rooted your Canadian Galaxy S4?
Share your experience in the comments box below.