Sony Xperia Z2 D6503 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop
The Sony Xperia Z2 is finally receiving the official update for Android 5.0.2 Lollipop. This, however, will come first to the Sony Xperia Z2 D6503, which is the variant for the Baltic and Nordic areas. Some things you can expect from the Android 5.0.2 update are the following:
- Slight modifications in the user interface, which is now based on the Material Design of Google
- Improved battery life
- Better device performance
- New lock screen notifications
- User mode and guest mode
The update can be obtained through the Sony PC companion or the OTA update. Those users who immediately want to have the official update even before it reaches their region can finally do so by following the procedure that we will detail below. This article will teach you how to install the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 23.1.A.0.690 official firmware on your Sony Xperia Z2 D6503 through the FTF found in Sony Flashtool. Before beginning the installation process, here are some notes that you have to consider:
- This step by step guide will only work for the Sony Xperia Z2. If you are not sure about your device model, you may check it by going to your Settings menu and clicking ‘About Device’. Using this guide for another device model may cause bricking, so if you are not a Sony Xperia Z2 user, do not proceed.
- Your remaining battery percentage should not be less than 60 percent. This will prevent you from having power issues while the installation is ongoing, and therefore will prevent soft bricking of your device.
- Backup all of your data and files to avoid losing them, including your contacts, messages, call logs, and media files. This will ensure that you will always have a copy of your data and files. If your device is already rooted, you may use Titanium Backup. If you already have an installed TWRP or CWM custom recovery, you may use Nandroid Backup.
- Allow USB debugging mode on your Xperia Z2. This can be done by going to your Settings menu, clicking Developer Options, and ticking USB debugging. If you cannot see the developer options, click About Device instead and tap the Build Number seven times to automatically activate USB debugging mode.
- Download and install Sony Flashtool.
- Use only the original OEM data cable provided for your device to prevent any unwanted interruptions
- Download the FTF file for Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 23.1.A.0.690 for Xperia Z2 D6503
Upgrading your Sony Xperia Z2 D6503 to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 23.1.A.0.690 Official Firmware:
- Copy the downloaded FTF file for Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 23.1.A.0.690 to the Firmwares folder found under Flashtool
- Open Flashtool.exe
- Look at the top left part of the page and click the lightning button. Click Flashmode
- Look for the FTF firmware file copied to the Firmware folder
- Choose which things you want to wipe from your device – apps log, data, and cache are highly recommended. Select OK and wait for the firmware to load.
- You will be prompted to attach your device. This can be done by shutting down your device and pressing the volume down button then attaching your phone to your computer through the OEM data cable
- Keep the volume down key pressed. Flashing will begin as soon as your phone has been successfully detected.
- Release the volume down key only when you see the “Flashing ended” notice.
- Unplug your device from your computer and restart.
That’s it! If you have questions regarding the process, do not hesitate to post it through the comments section below.