Android 4.4.2 KitKat On An AT&T Galaxy S3
Google’s latest version of Android, Android 4.4.2 KitKat has already been released and owners of Android smartphones are expecting that manufacturers will be bringing this update to their devices.
Samsung has already released an update to KitKat for their Galaxy Note flagship and other devices are expected to get the update as well.
The Galaxy S3 is expected to get an update to KitKat as well, but there has been no official date released for this.
If you just can’t wait for an update to be released for the Galaxy S3, you can consider flashing a custom ROM based on KitKat on your device.
If you have an AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-I747, you should consider flashing the Quantum ROM. It is a very stable ROM based on CyanogenMod and it works very well with the AT&T Galaxy S3. Follow along with our guide below.
Prepare your device:
- This ROM will work for all variants of the AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-I747, but don’t use it with other devices. Check you model by going to Settings>About Device> Model.
- Make sure your phone is charged to around 85 percent.
- Make a back up of your important contacts, sms messages, call logs and medica content.
- If your device is rooted, use Titanium Back up on your apps and data.
- You will need to have either CWM or TWRP custom recovery installed. Use your custom recovery to make a nandroid backup.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install Quantum Android 4.4.2:
- Download Quantum ROM v 3.3.zip and Gapps.zip file for Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
- Connect phone to PC now.
- Copy downloaded .zip files to phone’s SD card.
- Boot into TWRP / CWM Recovery.
- Wipe phone’s data or factory data reset with the wipe option.
- Wipe cache and dalvik cache.
- Install > Choose Zip > Select the Quantum.zip file > Yes. This will flash the ROM.
- When the ROM is flashed go back to the main menu of custom recovery.
- Repeat the sequence in step 7, but this time select the Gapps file. Flash Gapps.
- When Gapps has been flashed. Reboot your device. This first boot could take up to 10 minutes so just wait.
Have you installed Quantum ROM on your device?
Share your experience in the comments box below.