HTC Desire S Review
Does HTC Desire S offer more than it’s predecessor (HTC Desire), which was the most popular phone of the year? To know the answer please read the review.
The year 2010 was packed with excellent smartphones so the competition was quite tough, HTC Desire was the one to stand out among them, it was hard earned acclamation. Now Desire S is the successor of Desire.
There are many similarities between Desire and Desires, HTC had set some very difficult standards to match up to, even for itself. Furthermore, there are many things to like about the Desire S, but unlike its predecessor, it is not a winner.
The description of HTC Desire S includes:
- Snapdragon 1GHz processor
- Android 2.3 operating system with HTC Sense
- 1GB of internal storage memory and an expansion slot for external memory
- 115mm length; 59.8mm width and 11.63mm thickness
- A display of 7 inches and 480 x 800pixels display resolution
- It weighs 130g
- Price of £382
The good points:
- The front is pretty good.
- The phone does not have many sharp designs but it is solid and tough.
- Beneath the backplate, there is a battery, a slot for SIM card and microSD card.
- There are four standard touch-sensitive buttons for home, back, menu and also start function.
On the downside:
- The unibody chassis design is not very impressive.
- The slot for microSD card is beneath the battery.
- There is no optical trackpad feature in the Desire S, which was a hit in Desire.
- HTC abandon the shortcut buttons.
Performance & Battery
- There are a 1GHz processor and Android 2.3 operating system, as a result, it running smooth with a few in-between lags when running heavy apps.
- HTC Sense still hasn’t got any significant updates, same old same old.
- The battery life is good but it still needs an overnight charge.
- At the back, there is a 5-megapixel camera while there is a VGA one at the front.
- You can use the front camera for video calling as Desire S runs SIP supporting.
The point that needs improvement:
- There is no app that lets you use the front camera as the mirror.
- All the required things like Wi-Fi with b, g and n support, in addition, GPS, Bluetooth are present.
- Upload speed is 5.76Mbp and the download is 14.4Mbp for the HSDPA support.
The good point:
- The core is excellent.
- There is a new weather app and it also has new sound effects.
- There is a new effect by which app shortcuts are gathered into sweepable pages.
- A navigation app is present although it is not free.
- For sharing music, videos and stills there is a Connected Media for DLNA, furthermore, there is Amazon MP3 store, Reader, and Wi-Fi Hotspot.
There are no amazing factors about the display:
- There is a regular 3.7-inch screen with 480×800 pixels display (same as Desire).
HTC Desire S: The Verdict
Desire S is full of features and apps but there is nothing new, nothing to make it stand out from other smartphones as was the case with Desire. It is good but not over the top, which is required for being the best phone of 2011.
Have a question or want to share your experience
you can do so in the comment section box below