SlimLP Custom ROM To Update Xperia Z1
Sony Xperia Z1 was released about a year ago but it’s still a pretty powerful device that can hold its own among more recent flagships. As of the writing of this post, the Xperia Z1 runs on official Android 4.4.4 KitKat. While Sony has been releasing an update to Android 5.0 Lollipop for a lot of their phones, there has been no word yet if the Xperia Z1 will be receiving this update. However, Xperia Z1 users can get an unofficial upgrade to Lollipop by using a custom ROM.
In this guide, were going to show you how you can use SlimLP Custom ROM to update an Xperia Z1 to Android Lollipop. Currently, this ROM can be used with an Xperia Z1 C6902 and C6903. Follow along.
Prepare your phone:
- Unlock your phone’s bootloader.
- Install and setup Sony Flashtool. Use it to install the USB drivers of the Xperia Z1.
- Install ADB and Fastboot drivers for the PC or Mac.
- Charge phone it has around 50 percent battery life to prevent it from running out of power before the process completes.
- Back up the following:
- Call logs
- SMS messages
- Media – copy files manually to a PC/laptop
- If you have custom recovery, make a Nandroid backup.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
- Extract the file that says boot.img from the downloaded ROM zip
- Copy both downloaded files to the internal memory of the phone.
- Turn the phone off. Wait for 5 seconds.
- Press and hold on the volume up key then connect phone and PC.
- The LED light should be blue. This is an indication the phone is in fastboot mode.
- Copy the boot.img file to either the Fastboot folder or the Minimal ADB and Fastboot installation folder.
- Open a command window by holding down the shift button and right-clicking anywhere in the folder.
- In the command window, type fastboot devices then press enter.
- You should only see one fastboot connected device. If there is more than one, disconnect any other devices you have connected to your PC and close any Android Emulator programs and the PC Companion.
- In the command window, type fastboot flash boot boot.img then press enter.
- In the command window, type fastboot reboot then press enter.
- Your phone should reboot. While it is booting up, press the volume up, down and power keys. This will make you enter recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, select install then go to the folder where you placed the ROM zip.
- Install the ROM zip.
- Do the same thing for the Gapps zip.
- Reboot phone.
- Perform a factory reset and wipe the Dalvik cache.
- Root your phone by flashing SuperSU while in recovery.
Have you updated your Xperia Z1 to Android Lollipop?
Share your experience in the comments box below.