Use CyanogenMod 12 Custom ROM
CyanogenMod 12 can be used with a lot of devices – including the HTC Explorer. Based on Pure Android 5.0 Lollipop, this ROM is in its Alpha stage – not without a few bugs. But it is one of the few ROMs out there that can be used in the HTC Explorer. Follow along with our guide below to install CyanogenMod 12 on an HTC Explorer.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide is only for use with the HTC Explorer. If you use this with another device, you could brick the device. Make sure you have the correct device by going to Settings>About Device.
- Charge the battery to at least over 60 percent
- Have a custom recovery flashed and installed.
- Root your device.
- Back up important SMS messages, contacts and call logs.
- Back up all important media files manually by copying them to a PC or laptop.
- When your device is rooted, use Titanium Backup for your apps, system data and any other important content.
- When your custom recovery is installed, create a Backup Nandroid.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Flash the Recovery:
- Download Recovery Image
- Rename to recovery.img and paste in Fastboot folder
- Turn your device off.
- Turn it back on in Bootloader/Fastboot mode by pressing and holding down the power and volume down buttons. Keep these two buttons pressed until you see text appear on-screen
- Open a Command prompt in the Fastboot Folder. To do so, hold down the shift key while you right click anywhere in the folder.
- Connect device to PC.
- In the command prompt type the following: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img. This will flash the recovery.
- Now, type this in the command prompt: fastboot reboot. This should reboot your device. And you will see your device running the recovery.
Install CyanogenMod 12:
- Connect device to PC.
- Copy and paste the second of the files you downloaded to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Open your device into recovery mode by following the steps below:
- Connect device with PC
- In the Fastboot folder, open a Command Prompt
- Type: adb reboot bootloader
- Choose Recoveryfrom the Bootloader
Into the Recovery:
- Make a back-up of your ROM using Recovery. Do so by following these steps:
- Go to Back-up and Restore
- Choose Back-up.
- Return to Main Screen
- Go to ‘advance’ and choose ‘Devlik Wipe Cache’
- Go to ‘Install zip from sd card’. You should see another windows open
- Choose “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”
- From the options presented, ‘choose zip from sd card’
- Select CM12.zip file and confirm it’s installation on the next screen.
- When the installation is through, choose +++++Go Back+++++
- Select Reboot Now and your system should reboot.
The first reboot could take up to half an hour, just wait.
Have you used CyanogenMod 12 on your HTC Explorer?
Share your experience in the comment box below.