Update To Official Android 4.4.4 KitKat 23.0.1.A.0.167 Firmware
Sony has released an update to Android 4.4.4 KitKat for their flagship, the Xperia Z2. The new firmware is based on build number 23.0.1.A.0.167.
The official update is getting released to different regions at different times. If you have an Xperia Z2 D6503/D6502 and the update has yet to reach you, we have a way you can manually install and update your device to Android 4.4.4 KitKat. Follow along with our guide below and you can update your device.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide is only for the Z2 D6503/D6502. Using this with another device, could brick it. Make sure you have the correct device by going to Settings>About Device.
- Charge the battery to at least over 60 percent. If you end up running out of power before the process is though, you could brick you device.
- Back up important SMS messages, contacts and call logs.
- Back up all important media files manually by copying them to a PC or laptop.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your device. You can do so by one of the following methods:
- Tapping Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging.
- Tapping Settings> About Device. Look for “Build Number” and tap this 7 times.
- Have Sony Flashtool installed and set up. After Sony Flashtool has been installed, open Flashtool and then go to Drivers. Choose the following drives to install: Flashtool, Fastboot and Xperiea Z2.
- Have an OEM data cable which you can use to connect your device to a PC.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Update Xperia Z2 D6503/D6502 To Android 4.4.4 KitKat 23.0.1.A.0.167 Firmware
- Download one of these latest firmware Android 4.4.4 KitKat 23.0.1.A.0.167 FTF file.
- Copy the downloaded file and paste it in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.
- You should see a small lightening button on the top left corner, hit it and then select Flashmode.
- Select FTF firmware file that was placed in the Firmware folder in step 2.
- On the right side, select what you want to wipe. We recommend you choose to wipe: data, cache and apps log.
- Click OK, and the firmware will prep for flashing.
- When the firmware is loaded, you will be prompted to connect the phone to a PC. Do so by first turning the phone off and keeping the volume down key pressed while you plug in your data cable, making the connection between your phone and the PC. attach the phone by turning it off and keeping the back key press.
- When phone is detected in Flashmode, firmware should start flashing automatically. While it is flashing, continue to press the volume down key.
- When you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” let go of the volume down key. Disconnect your phone and the PC and then reboot your phone.
Have you installed latest Android 4.4.4 Kitkat on your Xperia Z2?
Share your experience in the comments box below.