Update The Sony Xperia Z1 C6903
Sony is beginning to roll out a software update for Android to their former flagship, the Xperia Z1. The new firmware for the Xperia Z1 is based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat and the build number is 14.4.A.0.108.
The update is currently being made available for the Sony Xperia Z1 C6903 in certain regions. If the update isn’t available in your region yet and you don’t want to wait, try this guide to update your Sony Xperia Z1 C6903 to official Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware based on the build number 14.4.A.0.108.
- This firmware is only for the Xperia Z1 C6903. Don’t try to use it on other devices as this could result in bricking. Check your devices model number by going to Settings> About device.
- Install Sony Flashtool.
- When Sony Flashtool has been installed, open the Flashtool folder.
- When the Flashtool folder is open: Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot and Xperia Z1 drives.
- Charge your phone to at least over 60 percent. This will prevent power issues during flashing.
- Enable USB debugging mode by using one of the two methods outlined below:
- Settings -> Developer Options ->USB debugging.
- No Developer Options? Try Settings -> about device and then tap the “build number” seven times
- Back up all important media content as well as your text messages, call logs and contacts.
- Root the device and make sure its running on either Android 4.2.2 or 4.3 Jelly Bean.
- Download the firmware file.
- Have an OEM data cable to connect the phone and the PC.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Update Sony Xperia Z1 C6903 to Official Android 4.4.4 KitKat 14.4.A.0.108 Firmware:
- Download latest firmware Android 4.4.4 KitKat 14.4.A.0.108 FTF file. here
- Copy file and paste to Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe.
- You will see a small lightening button located on the top left corner. Hit this then select Flashmode.
- Select FTF firmware file that was placed in the Firmware folder during step 2.
- From right side, select what you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended.
- Click OK, and firmware will begin preparing for flashing.
- When the firmware is loaded, you will be prompted to attach the phone. Do so by turning it off and keeping Volume Down key pressed as you plug in the data cable.
- When the phone is detected in Flashmode, firmware will begin flashing; keep pressing the Volume Down key until the process is complete.
- When you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” stop pressing the Volume Down key. Plug the cable out and then reboot.
You should find that you’ve now installed latest Android 4.4.4 KitKat on the Xperia Z1 C6903.
Have you updated your Xperia Z1?
Share your experience in the comment section below.