Update The Galaxy Win GT-I8552
It doesn’t look like Samsung is going to release an official Android update for their Galaxy Win. As such, your best option is to install a custom ROM based on Android 4.4.
CyanogenMod 11 is available for the Galaxy win and it’s based on Android 4.4.2 and AOSP. If you follow along with our guide, we will show you how to install it.
Before we begin, you are going to have to make sure of the following:
- You have a well-charged battery (85% or more)
- You have backed up important contacts, call logs and messages.
- You have checked your device model and found it compatible to the ROM in this guide.
- This guide and the ROM it is going to flash is for the Galaxy Win GT-I8552
- Check your device model by going to: Setting > About
- Your device is rooted and has a recent custom recovery installed.
- You have enabled USB debugging mode.
- Settings > Developers Option and Tick the USB debugging.
- You have backed up your phone’s EFS data
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Now, download the following onto a PC:
- Android 4.4.2 Kit-Kat ROM here
- Samsung USB Drivers
- Google Apps:
- Connect device to the PC in which you downloaded the files above.
- Copy and paste the files onto the root of your devices SDcard.
- Disconnect device from the PC.
- Turn the device off.
- Open the device in recovery more
- Press and hold down the volume up, home and power buttons till you see text on screen.
For CWM/PhilZ Touch Recovery Users:
- Choose to “wipe cache”
- Then go “advance” and choose “Devlik Wipe Cache”
- Then choose “wipe data/factory reset”.
- Go to “install zip.” You will see another window open in front of you.
- From options, pick “choose zip from SD card”.
- Select the file Android 4.4.2 Kit-Kat.zip. Another screen will appear, confirm that you want to install the file.
- When the installation is finished, flash Google apps. Select +++++Go Back+++++.
- Select “reboot now” and the system should reboot.
For TWRP Users:
- Choose the Wipe Button. From there, select: cache, system, data.
- Swipe on the Confirmation Slider.
- Then, go back to the main menu. From there, tap the Install Button.
- Find the Android 4.4.2 Kit-Kat.zip and Google Apps. Swipe the Confirmation Slider, and the two files will begin installation.
- When installation is finished, you’re going to see a prompt to reboot the system.
- Select Reboot Now and the system should rebout.
How-To Solve A Signature Verification Error:
- Open “recovery”
- Go to “install zip”
- Go to “toggle signature verification”. Press the power button to see if it is disabled. If it is not, disable it.
Do you have CM 11 on your Galaxy Win?
Share your experience in the comment section box below.