Update Sony Xperia L
Sony’s mid-range smartphone, the Xperia L, runs Android 4.1 Jelly Bean out of the box but Sony has recently been rolling out an Update Sony Xperia L for the Xperia L to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.
If you have a Xperia L, you can update your device by using Sony PC companion. Just connect your phone to a PC and check for the update. You can also use OTA updates. However, this official updates can take a while to react the different regions.
If the official update for Xperia L to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean has not hit your region yet and you just can’t wait, you can update your device manually. In this guide, we’re going to show you a method that can do just that.
Prepare your phone:
- Make sure that your device is a Sony Xperia L. Using this method could brick any other device. Check your device model by going to Settings>About Device.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery has at least over 60 percent of its charge.
- Make sure you have downloaded and installed both Sony PC Companion and Sony Flashtool.
- Back up all important contacts, messages and call logs.
- Have an original data cable that can establish a connection between the phone and PC.
The appropriate firmware for your device:
- Download Android 4.2.2 [15.3.A.0.26] Firmware for Sony Xperia L C2104 here
- Download Android 4.2.2 [15.3.A.0.26] Firmware for Sony Xperia L C2105 here
Update the Sony Xperia L to Android 4.2.2:
- The downloaded firmware file is in .ftf format. Place this .ftf file in Flashtool, in the Firmware folder.
- When you’ve placed the .ftf file in your Firmware folder, open Sony Flashtool.
- In Flashtool you will notice a lightening button on the top left corner. Hit it.
- You will be asked to select if you want to run Flashmode or Fastboot mode. Choose Flash mode.
- Select the .ftf file that you placed in the Firmware folder. Copy the options presented in the photo below.
- When your screen looks like the photo, hit the Flash button. The .ftf file will begin loading.
- When the File is loaded, a pop-up will appear. This pop-up will prompt you to connect your phone to a PC.
- Connect your phone in flash mode to the PC. To do so:
- Turn off your device.
- Keeping the volume down key pressed, connect the phone to your PC using the original data cable.
- When you see a Green LED on your phone, you have successfully connected your phone and your PC.
- Let go of the volume down key.
- Once you have connected your phone and your PC in flash mode, flashing should start automatically. When you see “flashing done”, the installation is complete.
- Disconnect your phone from the PC and turn it back on. Android 4.2.2 firmware should start running on your device.
- If you want to be sure, you can verify the installation by going to Settings>About Devices>Firmware.
Have you Update Sony Xperia L and installed Android 4.2.2 firmware on you Sony Xperia L?
Share your experience with us in the comments box below.