Root And Install TWRP/CWM On An Xperia ZR Running Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
Sony’s mid-range device, the Xperia ZR, was released in 2013 running Android 4.1.2 JellyBean. As part of Sony’s Xperia Z line, the device has gotten a lot of updates to Android 4.2.2, 4.3 JellyBean and Android 4.4 KitKat and Android 5.0.2 Lollipop.
The latest update that has been rolled out for the Xperia ZR is to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.
If you’ve updated your Xperia ZR, you might have noticed you’ve lost root access on your device. The system is now not directly root-able but don’t worry, we’ve found a method.
In this guide, we’re going to show you how to root & install TWRP/CWM recovery on your Xperia ZR C5503, C5502 running latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 10.7.A.0.222 firmware.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Steps for Rooting Xperia ZR C5503, C5502 10.7.A.0.222 Firmware
1. Downgrade to .108 Firmware and Root It
- If you have updated your Xperia ZR to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, you need to downgrade it to KitKat OS and Root it.
- Now, install .283 firmware
- Root your device.
- Install XZ Dual by following steps below
- Enable USB Debugging.
- Download the latest installer for Xperia ZR (Z-lockeddualrecovery2.8.xx-RELEASE.installer.zip) here
- Connect the phone to a PC with an OEM date cable and run install.bat
- Custom recovery should install now and when it’s through we can move to the next step.
2. Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For 10.7.A.0.222 FTF
- Depending on your ZR’s model, download one of the following
- Create a pre-rootedflashable firmware
- When the Flashable ROM is created, you will see a successful
- Do not touch any other options while the pre-rooted firmware is being created.
- Copy the pre-rootedfirmware to phone’s internal storage.
Move on to next step.
3. Root and Install Recovery on ZR C5503, C5502 5.1.1 10.7.A.0.222 Lollipop Firmware
- Turn off the phone.
Turn it back on again and press volume up or down repeatedly to enter either TWRP or CWM recovery
a. In TWRP– tap Install. Scroll to the bottom and selected copied pre-rooted firmware.zip file. Swipe your finger from left to right at the bottom. The recovery will flash
b. In CWM – select Install zip>Choose Zip from SD card. Find the pre-rooted firmware.zip and then select yes to flash it.
- When the custom recovery is flashed, reboot your phone. You will find you now have10.7.A.0.222 rooted Lollipop firmware
You can install Root Checker from the Google Play Store to verify root access
Have you installed a custom recovery and rooted you Xperia ZR?
Share your experience with us in the comments box below.