Root and Install TWRP Recovery On A Galaxy Tab S 8.4
The Galaxy Tab S 8.4 has begun receiving the update to Android 5.0.2. This new update brings a lot of changes to the device, including a new UI and new features such as multi-user and guest modes and a on lock-screen, among others.
As this is the biggest update in Android history, many Galaxy Tab S 8.4 users will really want this update. If you’re such a user, you’ll need to check if your device can run this Android version and to do that, you need to get root access.
If you root your device, you’ll be able to have all the root-required applications. This will allow you to modify your device as well as apply different tweaks which will enhance performance. In this how-to, we’re going to show you how to root and install TWRP 188.8.131.52 recovery to a Galaxy Tab S T700, T705 & T707 running on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop. We will be using Odin3 to flash a file that has both root and recovery for the Galaxy Tab S 8.4. Follow along.
Prep your phone:
- Make sure that this is the right how-to. This is for Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and the following variants only: Galaxy Tab S 8.4 SM-T700/SM-T705/SM-707
- If you try this method on any other smartphone, it could brick your device.
- Check your devices’ model number by going to settings -> system -> about device.
- If you have the right device, make sure you have the right OS. These devices should run Android 5.0.2 Lollipop.
- Your phone battery needs to have a charge of a little over 50 percent.
- Using an original data cable, connect your phone and your PC.
- Back up all your important contacts, sms messages, call logs and media content.
- When you use Odin2, make sure Samsung KIES and any Antivirus programs or Firewalls are turned off.
- Allow USB debugging to be used on your device.
- Enable the developer options
- Go to settings -> system ->about device
- When you’re on about device, tap the build number 7 times to enable developer options.
- Go to settings -> systems -> developer options.
- Select enable USB debugging.
- Enable the developer options
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Download and install:
- For your PC
- Samsung USB Drivers & Kies
- Odin3 V3. 10.6
- For your device
Now follow along with this guide.
How-to root and install TWRP Recovery on a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 running on Android Lollipop
- Put the device on download mode
- Turn off completely.
- Press and hold volume down, home, and the power key to turn it on
- When the device boots, press volume up
- Open the Odin3 v3.10.6.exe file on the PC.
- From Odin, click the AP tab.
- From the AP tab, select CF-Autoroot.tar
- As Odin is loading the file, connect your device to the PC.
- If Odin has the auto-reboot option unselected, select it. Don’t touch any of the other options.
- If Odin detects that your device is on download mode, you will see the ID:COM box on the top-right corner turn blue.
- Click the start button, the Auto-Root file with start flashing. When is stops flashing, then the device will reboot.
- When the device has booted up, go check the SuperSu application that you will find in the app drawer.
- If the SuperSu application asks for you to update SU binary, do so.
- Get BusyBox from Play Store and install it.
- Use Root Checker to verity root access.
That’s basically it; you can now use Android’s open source nature.
Do you have a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 that you want to update?
Post your experience in the comment section below