Root And Install Recovery On A Sony Xperia Z1
The Sony Xperia Z1 has been updated to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop and, because of some changes that were made to its core, it is no longer possible to directly root this firmware.
If you have an Xperia Z1 and you’ve updated it to run Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 14.6.A.0.368 firmware and you want to root and install a recovery, we have a method you can use.
In the following post we are going to show you how to root and install CWM/TWRP recovery on a Xperia Z1 C6902, C6903, C6906 running latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 14.6.A.0.368 firmware.
Before we begin, make sure of the following:
- This rooting method is only for use with the Xperia Z1 C6902, C6903, C6906.
- Check your devices model number by going to Settings>About Device.
- Your battery is charged to at least over 60 percent.
- You have backed up everything:
- SMS Messages
- Call logs
- If you have a rooted device, use Titanium Backup for your apps, system data and other important content.
- If you have CWM/TWRP installed make a backup nandroid.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Root & Install Recovery On Xperia Z1 Android 5.1.1 14.6.A.0.368 Firmware
- Downgrade to .108 Firmware and then root It
2. If already updated your smartphone to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, then you need to downgrade your device to KitKat OS and root it.
3. Install .108 firmware
4. Root the device
5. Install XZ Dual Recovery.
6. When the phone is rooted, enable USB debugging.
7. Download the latest installer for Xperia Z1 (Z1-lockeddualrecovery2.8.X-RELEASE.installer.zip) here
8. Connect phone to PC with a OEM date cable and then run install.bat. this will install the custom recovery.
Now we move on to the next step
Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For .368 FTF
- Download6.A.0.368 FTF and place it anywhere on PC.
- DownloadZ1-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.flashable.zip here
- Create a pre-rooted firmware
- When the Flashable ROM is created, you will see a successful message.
- Don’t touch any other option while creating the pre-rooted firmware.
- Copy the pre-rooted firmware to phone’s internal storage.
Note: If you do not want to create a pre-rooted flashable zip for your phone, you can download it for your phone’s specific model number and use it in the guide.
- C6902 14.5.A.0.368 Pre-Rooted Flashable Zip here
- C6903 14.6.A.0.368 Pre-Rooted Flashable Zip here
- C6906 14.6.A.0.368 Pre-Rooted Flashable Zip here
Now, on to the third step
Root and Install Recovery on Z1 C6902/C6903/C6906 5.1.1 Lollipop Firmware
Make sure of the following:
- Customrecovery was
- Pre-rooted firmware was created and copied to phone
- Turn off your phone.
- Turn it on again. Press volume up or down repeatedly in order to enter custom
- Clickinstall and locate the folder you placed the flashable zip earlier.
- Tap on it to install
- Reboot the phone and find SuperSu in app drawer.
- InstallRoot Checker from the Google Play Store to verify root access now.
So you’re now rooted and have the custom recovery installed.
Share your experience in the comments box below.