Root And Install CWM/TWRP On Xperia ZL
Sony has rolled out an update for their Xperia Z line to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. One of the devices that has gotten this update is the Xperia ZL.
If you’ve updated your Xperia ZL, you will have lost root access and – unfortunately, the limitations set by Google means you can no longer directly root a device running on Android Lollipop.
Don’t worry though, we’ve found a method to root the Xperia ZL. In this guide, we’re going to show you how to root and install CWM or TWRP recovery on your Xperia ZL C6503 and C6506 running Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 10.7.A.0.222 firmware.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Steps For Rooting Xperia ZL C6503, C6506 10.7.A.0.222 Firmware
1. Downgrade to .283 Firmware and Root It
- If you have updated your Xperia ZL to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, you need to downgradeit to KitKat OS and Root it.
- Install .283
- Root your device.
- InstallXZ Dual
- Enable USB Debugging.
- Download the latestinstaller for Xperia ZL (Z-lockeddualrecovery2.8.xx-RELEASE.installer.zip)
- Connect the phone to a PC with an OEM date cable and run install.bat.
- Customrecovery should install now and when it’s through we can move to the next step.
2. Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For 10.7.A.0.222 FTF
- Download latest 10.7.A.0.222 FTF
- Create a pre-rooted flashable firmware
- Copy the pre-rooted firmware to phone’s internal storage.
Move on to next step.
3. Root and Install Recovery on Xperia ZL ZL C6503, C6506 5.1.1 10.7.A.0.222 Lollipop Firmware
- Turn off the phone.
Turn it back on again and press volume up or down repeatedly to enter either TWRP or CWM recovery
a. In TWRP– tap Install. Scroll to the bottom and selected copied pre-rooted firmware.zip file. Swipe your finger from left to right at the bottom. The recovery will flash
b. In CWM – select Install zip>Choose Zip from SD card. Find the pre-rooted firmware.zip and then select yes to flash it.
2. When the custom recovery is flashed, reboot your phone. You will find you now have10.7.A.0.222 rooted Lollipop firmware
You can install Root Checker from the Google Play Store to verify root access
Have you installed a custom recovery and rooted you Xperia ZL?
Share your experience with us in the comments box below.