Root And Install CWM Recovery On A Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Dual
Samsung released a dual SIM variant of the Galaxy S4 Mini on July 2013. This device has been around for a while and there have been several custom ROMs and mods as well as a few tweaks developed for it.
In this guide, we’re going to show you how to install a custom recovery and root the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Dual GT-I9192. We will be using CWM 18.104.22.168 recovery.
Before we begin, let us review some of the reasons you might want to have custom recovery and root your device.
If you have custom recovery you can:
- Install custom roms and mods
- You can make a nandroid backup
- You can flash SuperSu.zip file
- You can wipe cache and dalvik cache
If you have root access you can:
- Have complete access to data that would otherwise remain locked by manufacturers
- Remove factory restrictions
- Make changes to internal systems and the operating system
- Install apps to enhance device performance and upgrade your battery life
- Remove build-in apps and programs
- Install apps which need root access for proper functionality
- Modify your device using mods, custom recoveries and custom roms.
Prepare your phone:
- Make sure that your device is a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9190, GT-I9192, GT-I9195. Check your device’s model number by going to Settings>General>About Device.
- Charge your phone to at least over 60 percent.
- Back up all you important media content, messages, contacts and call logs.
- Have an OEM cable which you can use to establish a connection between your phone and the PC.
- Turn off any Anti-virus programs or Firewalls.
- Enable your phone’s USB debugging mode.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install CWM .0.4.6 Recovery on a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Dual
- Download the following files
- Extract Odin PC and open Odin3.exe
- Put the phone into download mode by pressing and holding the volume down, home and power keys simultaneously. You should see a screen with a warning, when you do, let go of the three keys and then press the volume up key.
- Your phone should now be in download mode. Connect it to the PC.
- Odin should detect your phone automatically and the ID:COM box should turn light blue.
- Click the PDA tab and select the Recovery.tar.md5 file
- If you are using Odin v3.09, then instead of the PDA tabm you need to go to the AP tab.
- Make sure your Odin screen looks like the photo below
- Click on Start and the flashing process will begin. You will see a process bar located on the first box above ID:COM.
- After installing CWM recovery, create a Nandroid Backup before moving on to the next stage of this guide.
Rooting the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Dual
- Download S4 Mini Rootkit v2.zip
- Place downloaded SuperSu.zip file onto the phone’s external SDcard.
- Boot your phone into CWM recovery.
- From CWM, select Install Zip>Choose Zip from SDcad>Select S4 Mini RootKit v2.zip>Yes
- zip should flash now.
- When flashing is done, reboot the device.
You should now have a S4 Mini that is rooted and has custom recovery.
Share your experience in the comments box below.