Root A Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
Samsung and Sprint released a version of the Galaxy S4 Mini modeled SPH-L520. In order to enjoy Androids open nature on the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, you need to flash a custom recovery. In this guide, we are going to show you how.
In this guide, we will be working with the ClockwordMod 18.104.22.168, we are going to teach you how to install it to get custom recovery on your Sprint Galaxy S4 Mini SPH-L520 and then were going to teach you how to root the device.
Before we do so, let’s run down some of the reasons why you might want to have a custom recovery and root access on your device.
If you have custom recovery you can:
- Install custom roms and mods
- You can make a nandroid backup
- You can flash SuperSu.zip file
- You can wipe cache and dalvik cache
If you have root access you can:
- Have complete access to data that would otherwise remain locked by manufacturers
- Remove factory restrictions
- Make changes to internal systems and the operating system
- Install apps to enhance device performance and upgrade your battery life
- Remove build-in apps and programs
- Install apps which need root access for proper functionality
- Modify your device using mods, custom recoveries and custom roms.
Prepare your phone:
- Make sure your device is a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini SPH-L520. Check device’s model number by going to Settings>General>About Device.
- Charge phone to at least over 60 percent.
- Back up all you important media content, messages, contacts and call logs.
- Have an OEM cable to establish a connection between your phone and the PC.
- Turn off Anti-virus programs or Firewalls.
- Enable phone’s USB debugging mode.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install CWM 22.214.171.124 Recovery on Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini SPH-L520
- Download the following:
- Extract the Odin PC file that your downloaded in step 1. You should see Odin3.exe in it. Open Odin3.exe
- Put the phone into download mode by pressing and holding down the volume down, home and power keys simultaneously. When you get a screen showing a warning and asking if you want to continue, press volume up.
- Your phone should be in download mode and you should connect it to your PC using the OEM cable.
- If you connect your phone and your PC correctly, Odin should automatically detect your phone. If it does, you will see the ID:COM box turn light blue.
- Click the PDA tab, or, if you’re using Odin v3.09, the AP tab.
- Select the Recovery.tar.md5 file
- Make sure your Odin’s screen looks like the photo below.
- Click on Start and the flashing process should begin. You can trace it’s progress by looking at the process bar that will be found on the first box above ID:COM
- When the process is through, unplug your device.
You should now find that you have CWM recovery on your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini. Now, let’s root it.
Root Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini SPH-L520:
- Download SuperSu.zip
- Place the downloaded file on the phone’s external SD card
- Boot your phone into CWM recovery
- From CWM recovery, choose Install Zip>Choose Zip from SDcard > Select SuperSu.zip>Yes.
- zip should flash now.
- When flashing is complete reboot your device.
Have you installed a custom recovery and rooted your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini?
Share your experience in the comments box below.