Root A Install CWM/TWRP On An Xperia Tablet Z
Sony’s mid-range device, the Xperia Z, was released in 2013 running Android 4.1.2 JellyBean. As part of Sony’s Xperia Z line, the device has gotten a lot of updates to Android 4.2.2, 4.3 JellyBean and Android 4.4 KitKat and Android 5.0.2 Lollipop.
The latest update that has been rolled out for the Xperia Z is to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.
If you’ve updated your Xperia Z, you might have noticed you’ve lost root access on your device. The system is now not directly root-able but don’t worry, we’ve found a method.
In this guide, we’re going to show you how to root & install TWRP/CWM recovery on your Xperia Z C5503, C5502 running latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 10.7.A.0.222 firmware.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Steps for Rooting Xperia Tablet Z C5503, C5502 10.7.A.0.222 Firmware
1. Downgrade to .108 Firmware and Root It
- If you have updated your Xperia Z to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, you need to downgrade it to KitKat OS and Root it.
- Now, install .108
- Root your device.
- InstallXZ Dual
- Enable USB Debugging.
- Download the latest installer for Xperia Z (Z-lockeddualrecovery2.8.xx-RELEASE.installer.zip) here
- Connect the phone to a PC with an OEM date cable and run install.bat.
- Custom recovery should install now and when it’s through we can move to the next step.
2. Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For 10.7.A.0.222 FTF
- Depending on your Z’s model, download one of the following
- Download the latest C5502 latest 10.7.A.0.222 FTF here
- Create a pre-rooted flashable firmware .In case you do not want to create your own pre-rooted FTF, you can also download the ready made pre-rooted firmware here
- When the Flashable ROM is created, you will see a successful
- Do not touch any other options while the pre-rooted firmware is being created.
- Copy the pre-rooted firmware to phone’s internal storage.
Move on to next step.
Root and Install Recovery on Xperia Tablet Z SGP 511, 512 and 521 Android 5.1.1 10.7.A.0.222 Lollipop Firmware
- Turn off the tablet.
Turn the tablet on again and press volume up or down repeatedly. This will cause it to enter custom recovery.
a. For TWRP– tap Install. Scroll to the bottom and selected the copied pre-rooted firmware.zip file. Swipe your finger from left to right at the bottom. The recovery will flash
b. For CWM – select Install zip>Choose Zip from SD card. Find the pre-rooted firmware.zip and then select yes to flash it.
- When the custom recovery is flashed, reboot your phone. You will find you now have 10.7.A.0.222 rooted Lollipop firmware
You can install Root Checker from the Google Play Store to verify root access
Have you installed a custom recovery and rooted you Xperia Tablet Z?
Share your experience with us in the comments box below.