TWRP Recovery On A Samsung Galaxy Note 3
The latest flagship Note device from Samsung is the Galaxy Note 3. It was released just 2 months ago an already several developers have come up with custom ROMs for it.
In order to flash these custom rom’s however, you need to have a custom recovery on your Galaxy Note 3. In this guide, we’re going to show you how to flash TWRP custom recovery on your Galaxy Note 3.
Before we begin however, let’s take a quick look at the advantages of having a custom recovery on your device:
- To allow the installation of custom roms and mods.
- To be able to create a Nandroid back up which will allow you to return your phone to its previous working state
- If you want to root the device, you will need a custom recovery to flash SuperSu.zip.
- If you have custom recovery you can wipe cache and dalvik cache.
Prepare your device:
- Make sure that the device can use this firmware.
- This is only for use with Samsung Galaxy Note 3, that is of the variants which we will list below.
- Check your devices model number by going to Settings -> More ->About device.
- The recovery we wil use here works Galaxy Note 3 running all Android versions.
- Make sure your battery has at least over 60 percent of its charge so it doesn’t run out of power before flashing ends.
- Back everything up.
- Sms messages, call logs, contacts
- Important media content
- Have an OEM data cable that can connect your device to and a PC.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Download the following:
- Samsung USB Drivers
- Odin3 v3.09
- The appropriate TWRP for your device:
- TWRP Recovery 18.104.22.168 for International Galaxy Note 3 SM – N900
- TWRP Recovery 22.214.171.124 for LTE Galaxy Note 3 SM – N9005
- TWRP Recovery 126.96.36.199 for Canadian Galaxy Note 3SM-N900W8
- TWRP Recovery 188.8.131.52 for Sprint Galaxy Note 3SM-N900P
- TWRP Recovery 184.108.40.206 for T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3SM-N900T
Install TWRP Recovery on your Galaxy Note 3:
- Put phone in download mode by first turning it off completely. Now turn it back on by pressing and holding down the Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key. You will see a warning, when you do, press the Volume Up button to continue.
- Connect the Galaxy Note 3 to your PC.
- You should see the ID:COM box inOdin turn blue, that means the phone is now connected properly and in download mode.
- Click PDAtab in Odin then select downloadedtar file and allow it load. Your Odin should look as shown in the photo below, with no extra options selected.
- Hit start to flash the recovery. This will take a few seconds so just wait. When it’s through, the device should reboot.
- Press and hold down on the Volume Up + Home Button + Power Keyto access the newly installed TWRP Touch Recovery.
- Before you root, use the TWRP Recovery to backup your current ROM as well as make an EFS backup and save it on your PC.
- Download the SuperSu.zip here
- Place downloadedfile on phone’s sd card.
- Open TWRP Recoveryand from there, select Install > SuperSu.zip and flash the file
- Reboot device and you should find SuperSuin app drawer. This means your device is now rooted.
Have you tried installing TWRP Recovery on your Galaxy Note 3?
Share your experience in the comments box below.