Install TWRP Recovery And Root A Moto X Style
The Moto X Pure 2015 is more commonly known as the Moto X Style. This smartphone is part of Motorola’s new flagship line for 2015.
The Moto X Style runs on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. In order to explore the full potential of this Android device, you need to get root access and install a custom recovery.
If you root your device, you will be able to install root-specific applications that can boost the devices performance and battery life. If you install a custom recovery, you will be able to flash custom roms and mods and create a Nandroid backup.
In this guide, we show you how you can install TWRP Recovery and root a Moto X Style.
Prepare your phone:
- Make sure it’s a Moto X Style. Using this guide with other devices or you could brick them
- Back up all your important contacts, call logs, media content and text messages.
- Charge the phone to up to 60 percent.
- Enable USB debugging by going to settings>about device>tap build number 7 times. You should have developer options in settings now, open it and check USB debugging mode.
- Have an original data cable to establish a connection between your phone and a PC.
- Unlock its bootloader here .
- Have the Motorola USB drivers downloaded and installed.
- Have the ADB and Fastboot Package with TWRP recovery installed here .
- Download SuperSu.zip and copy the file to phone’s internal storage here .
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install TWRP Recovery on Moto X Style:
- Connect the phone to your PC. If asked for permission on the phone, check to allow it on PC and tap ok.
- Open Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder
- Click on py_cmd.exe file, this should open a command prompt.
- Enter the following codes in the command prompt one at a time:
- Adb devices – this will list the connected adb devices and will allow you to verify if your device is properly connected.
- Adb reboot-bootloader – this will reboot your device into bootloader mode
- Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img – this will flash TWRP recovery on your device.
- When the recovery finishes flashing, select recovery from Fastboot mode. You should now see the TWRP logo on the screen.
- Tap on Reboot>System in TWPR recovery.
Root Moto X Style:
- For this application you will be using the SuperSu.zip file that you downloaded onto your phone.
- Boot device into TWRP Recovery. Turn it off completely and turn it back on by pressing and holding down the volume down and power key
- When you see TWRP recovery, tap on Install>Locate the SuperSu.zip file> tap the file> swipe the bar on the bottom of the screen to confirm flash.
- When the file finishes flashing, go to the TWRP main menu and tap reboot>System
- The device should boot now and you should be able to find SuperSu in the app drawer
Have you installed a custom recovery and rooted your Moto X Style?
Share your experience in the comments box below.