Install TWRP Recovery And Root A Moto X Play
Motorola’s new Moto X series has come up with some smartphones that have good specs while maintaining an affordable price. One of these devices is the Moto X Play.
The Moto X Play runs Android 5.1.1 Lollipop and has a close-to-stock Android experience. If you want to unleash the true potential of the Moto X Play, you need to gain root access and intall a TWRP recovery.
If you root your device, you will be able to install root-specific applications that can boost the devices performance and battery life. If you install a custom recovery, you will be able to flash custom roms and mods and create a Nandroid backup.
In this guide, we show you how you can install TWRP Recovery and root a Moto X Play.
Prepare your phone:
- Make sure it’s a Moto X Play (2015). Don’t try this guide with other devices or you could brick them
- Back up all important contacts, call logs, media content and text messages.
- Charge your phone to up to 60 percent.
- Enable USB debugging by going to settings>about device>tap build number 7 times. You should have developer options in settings now, open it and check USB debugging mode.
- Have an original data cable which can establish a connection between your phone and a PC.
- Unlock its bootloader.here
- Have the Motorola USB drivers downloaded and installed.
- Have the ADB and Fastboot Package with TWRP recovery installed.
- Download SuperSu.zip and copy the file to phone’s internal storage here.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install TWRP Recovery on Moto X Play:
- Connect the Moto X Play to your PC. If you are asked for permission on the phone, check to allow it on PC and tap ok.
- Open the Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder
- Click on py_cmd.exe file, this should open a command prompt.
- Enter the following codes in the command prompt one at a time:
- Adb devices – this will list the connected adb devices and will allow you to verify if your device is properly connected.
- Adb reboot-bootloader – this will reboot your device into bootloader mode
- Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img – this will flash TWRP recovery on your device.
- When the recovery finishes flashing, select recovery from Fastboot mode. You should now see the TWRP logo on the screen.
- Tap on Reboot>System in TWPR recovery.
Root Moto X Play:
- For this application you will be using the SuperSu.zip file that you downloaded onto your phone.
- Boot the device into TWRP Recovery by turning it off completely and turning it back on by pressing and holding down the volume down and power key
- When you see TWRP recovery, tap on Install>Locate the SuperSu.zip file> tap the file> swipe the bar on the bottom of the screen to confirm flash.
- When the file finishes flashing, go to the TWRP main menu and tap reboot>System
- The device should boot now and you should be able to find SuperSu in the app drawer
Have you installed a custom recovery and rooted your Moto X Play?
Share your experience in the comments box below.