Install Philz Advanced CWM Recovery On Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
There is a modified version of the original ClockworkMod recovery by XDA developer Philz3570, the CWM Advanced Edition, which is compatible to a lot of devices, including Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini’s 3 variants GT-I9190, GT-I9192 and GT-I9195. If you have one of these devices, you might want to consider installing it.
In this guide, we are going to show you how to install Philz Advanced CWM Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9190/I9192 or I9195. The current available Philz Advanced CWM version for Galaxy S4 Mini is 6.26.6.
For newbies out there, this is why you might want to install a custom recovery.
- Allows the installation of custom roms and mods.
- Allows you to make a Nandroid back up which will allow you to return your phone to its previous working state
- If you want to root the device, you need custom recovery to flash SupoerSu.zip.
- If you have custom recovery you can wipe cache and dalvik cache.
Prepare your phone:
- Make sure that your phone can use this firmware.
- This is only for use with Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9190, GT-I9192, GT-I9195
- Check your devices model number by going to Settings -> About device.
- Make sure your battery has at least over 60 percent of its charge so it doesn’t run out of power before flashing ends.
- Back everything up.
- Back up you sms messages, call logs, contacts
- Have an OEM data cable that can connect your phone and a PC.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
- Download and extract Odin PC
- Download and Samsung USB Drivers
- Download the Recovery.tar.md5 file. Make sure it is the proper one for your variant:
- 26.6-serrano3gxx.tar.md5 [GT-I9190] here
- 26.6-serranodsub.tar.md5 [GT-I9192] here
- 26.6-serranoltexx.tar.md5 [GT-I9195] here
Install Philz Advanced CWM Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini:
- Open Odin3.exe from extracted folder.
- Put Galaxy S4 Mini in download mode. Press and holding down the Volume Down + Home + Power key simultaneously, you should see a screen with a warning and it will ask to continue, press the Volume Up key to continue
- Your phone should be in download mode. Connect phone to your PC.
- When Odin detects your phone, ID:COM box will turn light blue.
- Click the PDA tab and select the Recovery.tar.md5 file that was downloaded.
- If you are using Odin v3.09, put the .tar.md5 file in the “AP” tab, other settings should remain untouched.
- Odin screen should look as shown below.
- Click Start and flashing process will start showing. You will see a process bar in first box above ID:COM.
You should find that you have installed Advanced CWM recovery on the Galaxy S4 Mini. Now create a Nandroid backup before we begin rooting.
How to Root:
- Place downloaded Supersu.zip file on phone’s external sd card.
- Boot into CWM recovery on your phone.
- In CWM, select “Install Zip > Choose Zip from SDcard > Select SuperSu.zip > Yes”.
- SuperSu.zip file will flash. When flashing is complete, reboot device.
Now you should have Advanced CWM recovery and a rooted Galaxy S4 Mini.
Do you have a rooted Galaxy S4 Mini?
Share your experience in the comment section box below.