Install CWM Recovery And Root The Sony Xperia M Dual
Sony has announced that their updating their Xperia M to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware. This new firmware for the Xperia M Dual is based on the build number 15.5.A.0.18.
The firmware will be available via OTA, Sony PC Companion or can be installed manually with Sony Flashtool and FTF files. When you’ve updated your Xperia M, you may want to root it and install a CWM recovery.
In this guide, we show you how to install ClockworkMod 188.8.131.52 on a Sony Xperia M Dual C2004/C2005 that is running latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 15.5.A.0.18 firmware and root it.
If you are not familiar with what a custom recovery can do, we list the advantages below:
- Allows installation of custom roms and mods.
- Allows the creation of a Nandroid back up which will allow you to return your phone to its previous working state
- If you want to root the device, you need custom recovery to flash SuperSu.zip.
- If you have custom recovery you can wipe cache and dalvik cache.
Rooting also has certain advantages which we list below:
Rooting your phone
- You get access to all data which would otherwise be locked by manufacturers.
- Removal of factory restrictions and the ability to make changes to the internal system and the operating system.
- The privilege to install applications to enhance device performance, remove built-in apps and programs, upgrade battery life, and install apps which need root access.
Prepare your phone:
- This CWM recovery is only for Xperia M Dual C2004 and C2005 running latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 15.5.A.0.18 firmware.
- Check the firmware version by going to Settings -> About device.
- Android ADB and Fastboot drivers are installed in device.
- The bootloader is unlocked.
- Make sure the battery has at least over 60 percent charge so it doesn’t run out of power before flashing ends.
- Back everything up.
- Back up you sms messages, call logs, contacts
- Back up important media content by copying to a PC
- Use a custom recovery to back up your current ststem
- Enable USB debugging mode by going to Settings -> Developer Options ->USB debugging.
- Have an OEM data cable that can connect the phone and a PC.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install CWM 184.108.40.206 Recovery on Xperia M Dual 15.5.A.0.18 Firmware:
- Download boot_CWM_Dual_4.3.img file here
- Rename downloaded .img file to boot.img
- Place downloaded boot.img file in Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder
- If you have the Android ADB and Fastboot full package, you can just place the boot.img file in either the Fastboot or Platform-tools folder.
- Open folder where the boot.img file is placed.
- Press and hold down the shift key while right clicking on any empty area in the folder. Click on “Open Command Window Here”.
- Turn off the Xperia M completely.
- Press down on the Volume Up Key and keep it pressed while plugging in the USB cable.
- A blue light in the notification light of the phone will be seen. This means the device is in Fastboot mode.
- Type the following command: fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Press Enter and CWM 220.127.116.11 recovery will flash in your Xperia M Dual
- When recovery is flashed, type this command: fastboot reboot
- If this does notwork, reboot the device manually.
- As the device reboots, wait to see the Sony logo and a pink LED, then press Volume Up key and you will enter recovery.
Root Xperia M Dual Running Latest 15.5.A.0.18 Firmware:
- Download Supersu.zip file. here
- Place downloaded Supersu.zip file on phone’s external sd card.
- Boot phone into CWM recovery. Turn off device and turn back on. When you Pink LED, press Volume Up Key rapidly.
- You will see the CWM recovery interface.
- In CWM, select “Install Zip > Choose Zip from SDcard > Select SuperSu.zip > Yes”.
- SuperSu.zip file will flash.
- Once flashing is complete, reboot \device.
- Find SuperSu in your app drawer.
Do you have a Xperia M with CWM?
Share your experience in the comment section box below.