Samsung Galaxy S4 Active GT-I9295
Samsung has released a waterproof and dust proof version of their Galaxy S4, the Galaxy S4 Active. Out of the box, the Galaxy S4 Active runs Android 4.2.2 but it’s expected to get an update to Android 4.3 soon.
In this guide, we’re going to show you how you can root and install a CWM custom recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. Before we do so, quick look at why you might want to root and have a custom recovery on your device:
- Gives a user complete access to data which would otherwise remain locked by manufacturers.
- Removes the factory restrictions of a device
- Allows changes to be made to the internal system as well as operating systems.
- Allows for the installation of performance enhancing applications, removal of built-in applications and programs, upgrading the devices battery life, and installing apps which need root access.
- Also Allows you to modify the device using mods and custom ROMs.
- It allows you to install custom ROMs and mods.
- Allows you to create a Nandroid backup which will let you return your phone to its previous working state
- If you want to root a device, you need a custom recovery to flash SuperSu.zip.
- If you have custom recovery you can wipe cache and Dalvik cache
Now, prepare your phone by making sure of the following:
- Your device is a is Galaxy S4 Active GT-I9295, check the model under Settings>General>About Device>Model.
- Your phone’s battery has at least over 60 percent of its charge.
- You have backed up all important contacts, messages and call logs.
- You have an original data cable to establish a connection between your device and your PC.
- Enable USB debugging mode by either of these two options:
- Settings>General>Developer Options
- Settings l>About Device> Build Number. Tap build number 7 times.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, ROMs and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install CWM Recovery on Galaxy S4 Active:
- Put GS4 GT-I9295 in download mode by the rebooting device while holding the Volume Down key. You should get a screen showing a warning and if you should continue, press volume up to continue
- The phone should now be in downloading mode. Connect to your PC.
- When Odin detects your phone the ID:COMbox will turn light blue.
- Click the PDAtab and select CWM-Recovery-gt-i9295_v1-2.tar.md5 file that you downloaded.
- Odin screen should look like exactly as shown below.
- Click Start and the root process begin. You will see a process bar in the first box above ID:COM. When the process ends your device reboot. You can now unplug it from the computer.
- Congratulations you have your installedCWM recovery . To boot CWM recovery, restart your phone while holding the Volume Up key.
Root your Galaxy S4 Active:
- Place zip file on phone’s sd card.
- Boot into CWMRecovery.
- FromCWM recovery select “Install Zip > Choose Zip from Sd Card” and select theSuperSu zip file and-and select “yes”.
- SuperSushould flash.
- Reboot and find SuperSu in the app drawer.
Have you rooted your Samsung Galaxy S Active?
Share your experience in the comments box below.