Galaxy S3 Mini Phone [i8190/N/L] Root and Install CWM
Samsung released their Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini phone in 2012.This miniature version of flagship Galaxy S3 ran on Android Jelly Bean 4.1.1 out of the box.
If you own a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini phone and are looking for a way to play beyond the boundaries of its original operating system, you are going to need to root it and install a custom recovery. In this guide, were are going to show you how you can install ClockworkMod and root the Galaxy S3 Mini i8189, i8190N, and i8190L.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide will only work on a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini i8189, i8190N, and i8190L. Using it with another device could result in bricking.
- Charge your phone so that the battery has at least over 60 percent power.
- Have an original data cable to establish a connection between the PC and your phone.
- Backup all you important messages, call logs and contacts.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, ROMs and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Download and Extract:
Install ClockworkMod recovery on a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini:
- Open your Odin3.
- Go to download mode on your phone. Do so by:
- Pressing and holding down on the volume down, home, and power buttons simultaneously.
- When you see a warning, press volume up to continue.
- Now, connect the phone and the PC.
- When your phone is detected by the PC, the ID:COM box located on the top left corner of Odin3 should turn blue.
- Now, hit the PDA tab. In the PDA tab, select the CWM recovery file you extracted.
- Make sure that the options that are selected in your Odin are only F.Reset and Auto Reboot. Your Odin screen should match the one shown in the photo below:
- Hit Start and the CWM recovery will begin to install. When it is through, the phone will restart. Pull out the USB cable.
- CWM recovery is installed on your device now.
- You can boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding down the volume up,
home and power keys.
Root the Galaxy S3 Mini:
- Place the root zip file that you downloaded in your phone’s storage
- Boot your phone into recovery mode like we showed you in step 8.
- In recovery mode, select: choose zip from SD card.
- Choose the directory where you placed the root zip file. To move between the options in CWM recovery, you use the volume up and volume down keys. To select the option, press either the home or the power key.
- When you’ve selected the root.zip file, press yes.
- After a few seconds, the root.zip file should finish flashing.
- Reboot the device. Check that you have rooted it successfully by going to your app drawer. If you find SuperSu in your app drawer, you’re now rooted.
Remember, OTA updates from manufacturers wipe the root access of a phone. This means if you install an OTA update your going to have to root your phone again. However, we recommend you get the OTA Rootkeeper App. The OTA Rootkeeper App is available on the Google Play Store. The app creates a backup of your root and will restore it after an OTA update.
So now you have rooted and installed CWM custom recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini.
Share your experience with us in the comments box below.