Install CWM 6 Recovery On An Sony Xperia Z1
If you’ve updated your Xperia Z1 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat, chances are you may be looking for a way to get either ClockworkMod [CWM] or TeamWin [TWRP] custom recovery back on your device.
There are several advantages to having a custom recovery on your device, these are:
- Allows installation of custom roms and mods.
- Allows the creation of a Nandroid back up which will allow you to return your phone to its previous working state
- If you want to root the device, you need custom recovery to flash SuperSu.zip.
- If you have custom recovery you can wipe cache and dalvik cache.
In this guide, we focus on one type of common custom recovery, CWM. Follow along as we show you how to install it on your Xperia Z1 C6902 / C6903 / C6906 or C6943 running Android 4.4.2 KitKat 14.3.A.0.681 Firmware.
Prepare your phone:
- This CWM recovery is only for Xperia Z1 C6903/C6902/C6906/C6943running latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat 14.3.A.0.681 firmware.
- Check your firmware version by going to Settings -> About device.
- Android ADB and Fastboot drivers are installed.
- The device’s bootloader is unlocked.
- The battery has at least over 60 percent charge so it doesn’t run out of power during the flashing process.
- You’ve backed everything up.
- Back up you sms messages, call logs, contacts
- Back up important media content by copying to a PC
- If you device is rooted, you can use Titanium Backup for your apps and data.
- Enable USB debugging mode
- Settings -> Developer Options ->USB debugging.
- Have an OEM data cable that can connect your phone and a PC.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install CWM 6 Recovery on Xperia Z1 Running Android 4.4.2 KitKat 14.3.A.0.681 Firmware:
- Download: Doomlord’s Advanced Stock Kernel with CWM Recovery here
- Rename the downloaded .img file to boot.img
- Place the downloaded boot.img file in Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder
- If you have the full package of Android ADB and Fastboot, you just place the img file in either the Fastboot or Platform-tools folder.
- Open the folder where the boot.img file is placed.
- Press and hold down on the shift key while right clicking on any empty area in the folder. Click on “Open Command Window Here”.
- Turn off your Xperia Z1
- Press the volume up key and, while keeping it pressed, connect the phone and the PC with the USB cable.
- You should now see a blue light in the phone’s notification light. This means the device is connected in Fastboot mode.
- Type following command:fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Hit Enter and CWM 126.96.36.199recovery will quickly flash on your Xperia Z1
- Once the recovery is flashed, issue command “fastboot reboot
- The device should now reboot.
- When you see the Sony logo, and the pink LED, press Volume Up key and you will enter recovery.
If you followed our guide correctly, you should now see custom recovery on your device.
Does your Xperia Z1 have CWM?
Share your experience with us in the comments box below.