Install CWM 6 On A Xperia Z1
Sony just updated their flagship, the Xperia Z1 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. The latest update is based on build number 14.2.A.1.136 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
If you’ve updated your Xperia Z1, you’re probably looking for a way to install a custom recovery on it. In this guide, we show you how to do just that.
Before we do so, let’s look into the reasons you might want to have a custom recovery on your device.
- So you can install custom roms and mods.
- So you can make a Nandroid backup, save the previous working state of your phone.
- Sometimes, to root your phone, you need to flash a SuperSu.zip file. zip needs to be flashed in custom recovery.
- You can wipe cache and dalvik cache.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide is only for Sony Xperia Z1 C6903/2/6943.
- Check your device’s model by going to Settings -> About device.
- This CWM recovery is only for a Xperia Z1 C6903/C6902/C6943running latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 14.2.A.1.136 firmware.
- Check firmware version inSettings- > About Device.
- Android ADB and Fastboot drivers have been installed.
- The device’s bootloader has been unlocked.
- The battery has at least over 60 percent charge so it doesn’t run out of power during flashing.
- You’ve backed everything up.
- Back up you sms messages, call logs, contacts
- Back up important media content by copying to a PC
- If you device is rooted, you can use Titanium Backup for your apps and data.
- USB debugging mode has been enabled
- Settings -> Developer Options ->USB debugging.
- You have an OEM data cable that can connect your phone and a PC.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install CWM 6 Recovery on Sony Xperia Z1:
- Download Doomlord’s Advanced Stock Kernel with CWM Recovery here
- Copy downloaded .zip file to the phone’s SDcard.
- Extract downloaded .zip file onto the PC, you will get a Boot.img file.
- Place extracted imgfile in Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder.
- If you are have the Android ADB & Fastboot full package, place the downloaded recovery.img file in either the Fastboot folder or the Platform-tools folder.
- Open folder where imgfile is placed.
- While pressing and holding down the shift key, right click on any empty area in the folder, then click on “Open Command Window Here”.
- Turn off the Xperia Z1.
- Press the Volume Up Keyand keep it pressed while plugging in the USB cable.
- You will see a blue light in the phone’s notification light; this means the device is connected in Fastboot mode.
- Type the following command:fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Hit Enter andCWM 18.104.22.168recovery will flash in your Sony Xperia Z1.
- When recovery is flashed, issue the command: Fastboot Reboot
- Device should reboot now, and, as soon as the Sony logo and the pink LED appears, press on Volume Up key to enter recovery.
Does your Xperia Z1 have CWM?
Share your experience with us in the comments box below.