The Sony Xperia Z C6602/C6603
Sony has updated their former flagship, the Xperia Z, to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 10.4.B.0.569 firmware. If you’ve upgraded your Xperia Z to this firmware, you’re probably looking for a way to install a CWM recovery on your device. This will allow you to root or to flash custom ROMS on your device.
In this guide, we’re going to show you how to install the CWM [ClockworkMod] 184.108.40.206 on the Sony Xperia Z C6602/C6603.
Before we begin, let’s review some of the reasons you might want a custom recovery on your device:
- So you can install custom roms and mods.
- So you can make a Nandroid backup, save the previous working state of your phone.
- Sometimes, to root your phone, you need to flash a SuperSu.zip file. zip needs to be flashed in custom recovery.
- So you can wipe cache and dalvik cache
Prepare your phone:
- This guide is only for Sony Xperia Z C6602/C6603. Do not try using it with any other model.
- Check device model by going to Settings -> About device.
- This CWM recovery is only for a Xperia ZZ C6602/C6603running stock or stock based Android 4.3 [10.4.1.B.0.101 / 10.4.B.0.569] / 4.2.2 or 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
- Check firmware version Settings-> About Device.
- Android ADB and Fastboot drivers have been installed.
- The device’s bootloader has been unlocked.
- The battery has at least over 60 percent charge so it doesn’t run out of power during flashing.
- You’ve backed everything up.
- Back up you sms messages, call logs, contacts
- Back up important media content by copying to a PC
- If you device is rooted, you can use Titanium Backup for your apps and data.
- USB debugging mode is enabled
- Settings -> Developer Options ->USB debugging.
- You have an OEM data cable to connect your phone and a PC.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install CWM 6 Recovery on Xperia Z:
- Downloadthe Doomlord’s Advanced Stock Kernel with CWM Recovery here
- Copy downloaded file to your phone’s SDcard.
- Extract downloaded .zip folder on PC, you should get a Boot.img file.
- Place extracted imgfile in the Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder.
- If you have Android ADB & Fastboot full package, place downloaded imgfile in Fastboot folder or Platform-tools folder.
- Open folder where theimg file is placed.
- Press and hold down on the shift key while right clicking on an empty area in the folder, then click “Open Command Window Here”.
- Turn off Xperia Z
- Press and keep pressing the Volume Up Keywhile pluggin in the USB cable.
- You will see a blue light in the phone’s notification light. This means your device is connected in Fastboot mode.
- Type the following command:fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Hit Enter and CWM 220.127.116.11recovery will flash in your Xperia Z.
- When recovery is flashed, issue this command “Fastboot reboot”
- Device will reboot, as soon as you see Sony logo and the pink LED, press on the Volume Up key to enter recovery.
- In recovery, select“Install Zip > Choose Zip from SD Card > Advanced Stock Kernel with CWM.zip > Yes”. [Important]
- Kernel will flash in your phone. Once flashed, reboot device.
Does your Xperia Z have CWM?
Share your experience with us in the comments box below.