Install ClockworkMod 6 Recovery On A Sony Xperia P LT22i
Sony’s mid-range Xperia P has some nice features and specs. In early 2013, Sony released an update for this device to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, but that’s the last official update that it has gotten.
If you want to see just how far you can push the customization of your Xperia P, you’re going to need a custom recovery installed. Custom ROMs need custom recovery and we’ve found the latest one that is available is the ClockwrokMod Recovery [CWM 188.8.131.52] for Xperia P. The recovery is found inside Phantom Kernel, which is based on the latest stock firmware 6.2.A.1.100’s source code. This kernel will also root your device.
If you are not familiar with what a custom recovery can do, we list the advantages below:
- Allows installation of custom roms and mods.
- Allows the creation of a Nandroid back up which will allow you to return your phone to its previous working state
- If you want to root the device, you need custom recovery to flash SuperSu.zip.
- If you have custom recovery you can wipe cache and dalvik cache.
Now, before we begin installing custom recovery on your Xperia P, make sure of the following:
Prepare your phone:
- This CWM recovery / phantom kernel is only for use with an Xperia P LT22i that runs Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean 6.2.A.1.100 firmware.
- Check the devices model number by going to Settings -> About device.
- Android ADB and Fastboot drivers are installed in the device.
- The devices bootloader is unlocked.
- Make sure the battery has at least over 60 percent charge so it doesn’t run out of power before flashing ends.
- Back everything up.
- Back up you sms messages, call logs, contacts
- Back up important media content by copying to a PC
- Enable USB debugging mode by going to Settings -> Developer Options ->USB debugging.
- Have an OEM data cable that can connect the phone and a PC.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install CWM 6 Recovery on Sony Xperia P LT22i:
- Download Phantom Stock JB Kernel.zip file here
- Extract to get Kernel.elf file.
- Place extracted kernel.elf file in Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder
- If you have the Android ADB and Fastboot full package, place downloaded and extracted kernel.elf file in either the Fastboot folder or the Platform-tools folder.
- Open folder where kernel.elf file is placed.
- Press and hold down on the shift key while right clicking on an empty area in the folder. Click on “Open Command Window Here”.
- Turn off the device completely.
- While pressing the Volume Up Key and keeping it pressed, plug in USB cable.
- You will see a blue notification light, that means the device is connected in Fastboot mode.
- Type the following command: fastboot flash boot kernel.elf
- Press Enter and CWM 6 recovery will flash in your Xperia P.
- When recovery is flashed, type this command: fastboot reboot
- If this does not work, you can reboot device manually.
- Your device should reboot and you should see the Sony logo and a pink LED. Now press the Volume Up key and enter recovery.
- You should now be able to see the custom recovery.
- From the CWM recovery, wipe cache and dalvik cache.
Do you have a Sony Xperia P with custom recovery?
Share your experience in the comment section box below.