Android ADB And Fastboot Drivers On A Windows PC
Android ADB, which stands for Android Debug bridge, is a great help in building connections between an Android Emulator or Android device and a computer. If you have ADB and Fastboot drivers installed, you can install new recoveries, flash custom ROMs and mods and do a few other things that can stretch the manufacturer boundaries of your Android device. ADB and Fastfood drivers are a must-have for Google Nexus owners and HTC owners as well.
In this guide, we’re going to show you how to install Android ADB and Fastboot drivers on your windows PC.
Note: When you have installed ADB Driver, the Fastboot driver will be installed as well. Fastboot driver is included in Android SDK. Fastboot is a tool to modify your phone by flashing a custom image, insecure kernel, flashing custom ROMs and modifying your Android device.
- Download Android SDK tools from Android Development Site here .
- To run Android SDK tools, your need to have Java downloaded installed here. If you don’t download and install Java SE Development Kit 7 for windows.
- Run the Android SDK Manager.exe file that you downloaded. Select C:/ drive as the path it will be placed on.
- Complete installation process by pressing the finish button. Android SDK Manager should begin running.
- When Android SDK Manager is running, you are going to be presented with several options and features. For our purposes, check only Android SDK Platform-tool and Google USB drivers.
- Once you have checked those two options, accept the terms and conditions for both to begin the installation.
- When the installation begins, you will see Android SDK Manager Log.
- When you see “done loading packages” appear at the bottom of Android SDK Manager Logs, you’ve successfully installed ADB and Fastboot drivers.
If you want to check that you’ve installed both drivers successfully, connect your device to a computer, the computer should automatically detect your device and install the required USB drivers.
If you want to modify your phone using Fastboot, you need to boot into Fastboot. There are different methods to boot into Facebook depending on your device.
If you have an HTC Device, you can boot it into fast boot mode by turning it off then long pressing Volume Down and Power. From fast boot mode, you can move up and down using the volume up and down keys.
Now that you have ADB and Fastboot, if you want to flash a custom recovery, image or ROM on an Android device this is how you do it:
- Open Android SDK manager. Go to the installation directory and open: platform-tools i.e C:\ Android-SDK-Manager\platform-tools.
- Copy the options shown below.
- Go back to drive C and make a new folder and name it fast boot. Paste the copied adb.exe, fastboot.exe and AdbWinApi.dll into the fast boot folder.
- Copy an image file into the fast boot folder.
- Press shift and right click anywhere on your desktop, press “open command window here”.
- Type in the command prompt: cd c:\fast boot.
- You can also: open the Fastboot folder, press shift and then right click and press ”open command prompt here”
- Boot the device into fast boot/download mode
- Connect to a computer.
- To flash a specific image using the fast boot, type a command by specifying image name and image format .
- Fastboot allows you to do a lot of other things as well, in order to learn what you can do type ” Fastboot help ” in the command prompt.
Have you installed ADB and Fastboot drivers on your device?
Share your experience in the comments box below.