CyanogenMod 12 Custom ROM On The Galaxy S3 Mini I8190/N/L
Samsung has been a bit slow to use Android 5.02 in its devices. Those who have a Galaxy S3 Mini have a long wait before they can have official versions of Android 4.4.4 KitKat or Android 5.0 Lollipop. However, some custom operating systems can allow you to install newer versions of Android in the Galaxy S3 Mini.
MaClaw Studies has developed Andorid 5.0.2 Lollipop which is based on an unofficial Cyanogen Mod 12 custom ROM that can be used with the Galaxy S3 Mini. Here is our how to guid on how to install it.
Prepare you phone
- Make sure your phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3Mini GT-I8190/N/L.
- Check the model by going to Settings > About Device > Model.
- Your phone need to have custom recovery installed.
- Your battery needs to be charged so it’s just over 60%.
- Backup important media content as well as you contact list, calls list and messages.
- If your device is already rooted your device, back up your important apps and system data with Titanium Backup
- If you use custom recovery, backup the current system using that.
- Have an EFS backup made for your phone.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Installing Android 5.0 Lollipop On Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Using CM 12 Custom ROM
- Download these two files:
- cm12.0_golden.nova.20150131.zip file.
- Gapps.zip file for CM 12.
- Connect phone to PC.
- Copy both downloaded .zip files to phone storage.
- Disconnect your phone and turn off
- Boot phone in TWRP recovery by continuously and simultaneously pressing the Volume Up, Home Button and Power Key.
- From TWRP recovery, wipe the cache, reset factory data and the advanced options
- After wiping the three choose “Install” option.
- Install-> Choose Zip from SD card -> Select 0…….50131.zip file- > Yes
- ROM should flash in your phone. When done go back to main menu in recovery.
- Select Install-> Choose Zip from SD card- > Selectzip file- > Yes
- Gapps will flash in your phone.
- Reboot, should take 10 minutes for first boot.
- If it takes longer then 10 minutes, boot while in TWRP recovery, wipe the cache and dalvic cache and reboot again.
If you follow these steps you’ll find yourself running Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on you Galaxy S3.
Have a question?
Ask in the comment section below