Install Android 4.4.4 KitKat On A Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini
The Galaxy S3 Mini currently runs on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and it doesn’t look like Samsung is going to update it to any other version of Android. Galaxy S3 Mini users who want to have Android 4.4.4 KitKat will have to look to firmware to update their device.
XDA Senior Member New Maclaw had developed a firmware to bring Android 4.4.4. KitKat for the Galaxy S3 Mini that is based on custom ROM CyanogenMod 11. In this guide, were going to help you install it.
Before we begin, prepare your phone by making sure of the following:
- You have a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190/N/L
- You have a custom recovery installed.
- Your battery has at least over 60 percent of its charge in order to avoid any power issues during flashing.
- You have backed up your sms messages, call logs, contacts.
- If you have a rooted device, use Titanium Backup for all your important apps and system data.
- You have backed up your system with Nandroid Backup.
Note: Items 5-7 are important because you are going to have to go through Data Wipes during ROM installation.
- You have made an a EFS backup.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install Android 4.4.4 KitKat On Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Using CM 11Custom ROM:
- Download cm11.0_golden.nova.20140628.zip file here
- Download Gapps.zip for CM 11. here
- Connect the device to the PC .
- Copy both of the .zip files you downloaded in steps 1 and 2 to the phone storage.
- Disconnect the phone and turn it off completely
- Boot the phone TWRP recovery now by:
- Turning the device on by pressing and holding down Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously.
- From TWRP recovery, wipe the following: cache, factory data reset and the advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping these three, select “Install” option.
- Select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select cm11.0_golden.nova.20140628.zip file > Yes”.
- The ROM should flash in your phone. When flashing is finished go back to the main menu in recovery.
- From recovery, now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- Gapps should flash in your phone.
- Reboot device.
- You will see Android 4.4.4 KitKat ROM running on your device.
Your first boot could take as long as 10 minutes. If it takes longer than that, boot into TWRP recovery and then wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot. If the device is still having issues, use Nandroid Backup return to your old system and then install stock firmware.
Have you tried updating your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini?
Share your experience in the comment section below.