Install Android 4.4.4 KitKat On A Galaxy S3 Mini I8190/N/L
The Samsung S3 Mini is Samsung’s first Mini device. It is a widely used, budget Android device that Samsung, for some reason, hasn’t really been updating. The last update the S3 Mini has was to Android 4.1.2 Jellybean.
Though the S3 Mini no longer gets official updates, you can still update your devices firmware using several custom ROMs. XDA Developer NovaFusion has developed a Carbon ROM for the Galaxy S3 Mini that can install Android 4.4.4 KitKat on it. In this guide, we show you how to use it.
Follow along to install Android 4.4.4 KitKat on Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190/N/L using Carbon custom ROM.
Before we continue, make sure of the following:
- That your phone can use this firmware.
- This ROM is only for use with Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-I8190/N/L
- Check your devices model number by going to Settings -> About device.
- Have a custom recovery installed.
- Make sure your battery has at least over 60 percent of its charge so it doesn’t run out of power before flashing ends.
- Make sure that USB Debugging Mode is enabled
- Go to Settings -> Developer Options ->USB debugging.
- If there is no Developer Options in your Settings, try Settings -> about device and then tap the “build number” seven times
- Back everything up.
- Back up you sms messages, call logs, contacts
- Back up you media files by copying them to a PC or Laptop
- If you have a rooted device, use Titanium Backup for all your important apps and system data.
- If your device has a custom recovery, back up your current system using Nandroid Backup.
- You will need to go through Data Wipes for the installation of the ROM, this is why you need to back up the data mentioned 5-7
- Have an EFS backup of the phone.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install Android 4.4.4 KitKat On Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Using Carbon ROM:
- Download carbon4.4_golden.nova.20140628.zip. here
- Download Gapps.zip for CM 11. here
- Connect phone to PC now.
- Copy both of the .zip files to your phone storage.
- Disconnect phone and turn off completely
- Boot into TWRP recovery now:
- Turn on by pressing and holding down Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously.
- From TWRP recovery, wipe the cache, factory data reset and the advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping these three, select the “Install” option.
- Select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select carbon4.4_golden.nova.20140628.zip file > Yes”.
- The ROM will flash in your phone. When flashing is done go back to the main menu in recovery.
- From recovery, select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- Gapps will flash in your phone.
- Reboot device.
- You will see Android 4.4.4 KitKat Carbon ROM running on your device.
The first boot may take as long as 10 minutes. However, if it takes longer than that, boot into TWRP recovery and then wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot device. If the device is still having issues, return to your old system using Nandroid backup and try installing it again.
Have you tried updating your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini?
Share your experience in the comment section below.