Install A CWM Or TWRP Recovery on The Sprint Galaxy Tab 3
A Sprint-branded version of Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 3 is available and known as the SM-T217S. This is a device that has almost the same specifications of a normal Galaxy Tab 3 but is exclusive to Sprint subscribers. The Sprint Galaxy Tab 3 initially ran on the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, but Samsung has recently rolled out a direct update to the Android 4.4.2 KitKat for this device.
If you own a Sprint Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T217S and you would like to be able to tweak and apply mods to your device, you are going to need to install a custom recovery and root your device. In the guide below, we are going to show you how to install two custom recoveries in your device, the ClockworkMod6 or TWRP 2.7 recovery and gain the root access for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T217S.
Note: Both custom recoveries, the ClockworkMod6 and the TWRP 2.7 basically have the same purpose, so just pick one according to your own preference.
Note2: This method works with Sprint Galaxy Tab 3’s that are already running on either Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean or Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
Before we begin, we thought we’d give any newbies a better idea of what it is to install custom recovery and allow root access on their device.
What is custom recovery?
- Installing a custom recovery on your phone will allow for the installations of custom roms, mods and others.
- A custom recovery will allow you to make a Nandroid backup. If you make a Nandroid backup, you can go back to a device’s previous working state anytime you want.
- A custom recovery may be necessary to flash certain files such as SuperSu.zip, which is also necessary to root your phone.
- If you have custom recovery you can wipe both the cache and the dalvik cache of a device.
What is root access?
- A rooted phone has complete access over data which would otherwise be locked by the phone’s manufacturers. This allows you to do the following:
- Remove factory restrictions
- Make changes to internal systems
- Make changes to the operating system.
- If you have root access you can also install different applications that can help enhance device performance, remove built-in applications or programs, and upgrade device battery life.
- Some apps need root access to perform properly. You also need root access in your device if you want to used mods or flash custom recoveries or custom ROMS.
Prepare your phone:
- Use this guide only with the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T217S and with no other device.
- Make sure the battery has at least over 60 percent of its charge.
- Have an original data cable to connect your phone and your PC.
- Back up your sms messages
- Back up your call logs
- Back up your contacts
- Back up important media files by copying them to a PC or Laptop
- If your device already has a custom recovery, create a Nandroid Backup
- Have an EFS backup made.
- If your device is already rooted, used Titanium Backup to back up what is on your device.
- Make sure that Samsung Kies is turned off or disabled.
- Make sure that anti-virus software’s are turned off
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Download the following:
- Odin 3 v3.09
- Samsung USB drivers
- CWM.try15.recovery.tar.zip for Galaxy Tab 3
- TWRP 2.7 Recovery.tar.md5 for Galaxy Tab 3 here
- Root Package [SuperSu.zip] File for Galaxy Tab 3 here
Installing CWM or TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T217S:
- Download either the CWM or TWRP Recovery.tar.md5file
- Open exe.
- Put the Tab 3 indownload
- Turn it off
- Wait for 10 seconds.
- Turn on by pressing and holding the Volume Down, Home Button and Power Keyat the same time.
- You will see a warning then press Volume Upto continue.
- Connect the Tab 3 to a PC.
- When Odin detects the device, you should see the ID:COMbox turn blue.
Note: Make sure Samsung USB drivers have been installed before connecting.
- For the Odin 3.09: Go to the AP tab and select the recovery.tar.md5 file from there.
- For the Odin 3.07: Go to the PDA tab and select the recovery.tar.md5 file from there.
- Using the photo below as a guide, select the following options on your Odin3.
- Hit start. Wait till recovery flashing finishes.
- When device restarts, remove from PC.
- Boot into recovery mode :
- Turn off device.
- Turn on by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home Button and Power Key at the same time
Root Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T217S
- Copy downloadedRoot Package.zip file to Tab’s SD card.
- Boot Galaxy Tab 3 into recovery mode. Follow step 11 shown above.
- From recovery mode, selectInstall > Choose Zip from SD card > Root Package.zip > Yes / Confirm”.
- The Root Package will flash and you will gain the root access on the Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T217S.
- Reboot device.
- Find the SuperSu or SuperUser in App Drawer.
How to install busybox now?
- On the Sprint Galaxy Tab 3, go to Google Play Store
- Find “Busybox Installer”.
- Run Busybox installer and proceed with installation.
How to check if the device is properly rooted or not?
- Go to Google Play Store again.
- Find and install “Root Checker”
- Open Root Checker.
- Tap on “Verify Root”.
- You will be asked for SuperSu rights, “Grant”.
- You should now see Root Access Verified Now!
Do you have a Sprint Galaxy Tab 3?
Do you think you’ll benefit from a custom recovery and having root access on it?
Share your experience in the comment box below.