Get Custom Recovery Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8
You can get the Canadian variant of Samsung Galaxy S5 now. If you have one and you want to test the limits of the device, you’re going to need to be able to flash custom ROMs, mods, tweaks and others. To do so, you are first going to need to flash a custom recovery.
XDA developer Philz3759 has developed the Advanced Touch Recovery based on CWM6 for some variants of the Galaxy S5. One variant that this custom recovery works on is the Canadian Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8.
In this guide, we’re going to show you how to install CWM6 recovery on a Canadian Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8 using Philz Advanced Touch Recovery.
Before we do so, let’s look at some of the reasons why you might want to have a custom recovery on your device.
If you have custom recovery you can:
- Install custom roms and mods on your phone
- Make a nandroid backup of your phone’s system
- You can flash SuperSu.zip file on your phone
- You can wipe the cache and dalvik cache of your phone
Prepare your phone:
- Make sure your device is a Canadian Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8. You can check your device’s model number by going to Settings>More>About Device.
- Make sure your phone’s battery has at least over 60 percent of its charge.
- Back up all you important media content, messages, contacts and call logs.
- Have an OEM cable to establish a connection between your phone and the PC.
- Turn off Anti-virus programs or Firewalls.
- Enable phone’s USB debugging mode.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
- Samsung USB drivers
- Download Odin3 v3.10.7
- Philz Advanced CWM Recovery for Canadian Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8.
Install Philz Advanced CWM Recovery on Canadian Galaxy S5:
- Open Odin3.exe
- Put the phone in download mode by turning it off completely then turning it back on by pressing and holding the volume down, home and power buttons.
- When you see a warning, let go of the three buttons and press volume up to continue to the next step.
- Connect the phone to the PC using the OEM cable.
- If you connected the devices correctly, the ID:COM box on Odin should turn blue.
- Click on AP tab and select the Recovery.tar.md5 file
- Make sure that your Odin screen matches the one shown in the photo below.
- Hit start and wait. The recovery should flash in a few seconds and when it is done, your device should reboot.
- Press and hold down the volume up, home and power key. This should give you access to the Philz Touch Recovery that you have just installed.
- With Recovery, you can now make a backup of your current ROM.
- You should also make EFS backup and save this on your PC.
Optional rooting instructions:
- Download SuperSu.zip file.
- Put the downloaded file on the SDcard of your phone.
- Open custom recovery and then select Install>SuperSu.zip and flash it.
- Reboot your device and check if you can find SuperSu in your app drawer. If you do, you have successfully rooted your device.
Have you installed a custom recovery on your Canadian Galaxy S5?
Share your experience in the comments box below.