Motorola Droid Razr HD Maxx vs Apple iPhone 5
So the Apple iPhone 5 has finally arrived, but how does it compare with the diverse line-up of impressive Android smartphones that have already been released this year?
In this review, we look at the specs and features of the iPhone 5 and compare it with those of another great smartphone, the Droid Razr Maxx HD from Motorola.
The Apple iPhone 5 comes after the iPhone 4S which was launched last year. The numerical jump normally signifies new changes for Apple devices and we’re interested in seeing just what new features the iPhone 5 brings.
The Droid Razr HD Maxx is the latest offering from Motorola’s Droid brand and is considered one of the best Android devices released this year.
- The iPhone 5 still has the rounded corners, minimalist look and the hardware home button that is beginning to become a brand trademark with Apple devices.
- Apple’s iPhone 5 has an aluminum and glass body
- The back cover of the iPhone 5 has two-tone colors
- The measurements of the Apple iPhone 5 stand at 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm
- The iPhone 5 was made thinner than previous iterations. It is only 7.8 mm thick
- The iPhone 5 is also lighter than previous iterations weighing 112 grams
- The Droid Razr HD Maxx has a very distinctive design
- The distinctive design includes Kevlar backing which envelops the side and rear of the phone
- The Droid Razr HD Maxx’s measurements are 131.9 x 67.9 x 9.3 mm• The Droid Razr HD Maxx has a big battery and screen. This contributed to its heavier weight of 157 grams and thickness of 9.3 mm.
Verdict: Apple has always been an industry leader in design terms and the iPhone 5 reflects that. The iPhone 5 really looks like a high-quality device and is also the thinner and lighter device. Aluminum also looks better than Kevlar.
- Apple has finally increased the screen size of their iPhone line. The iPhone 5 has a 4-inch screen
- The iPhone 5’s screen has a resolution of 1136 x 640
- While this is a great step up for Apple, it pales next to what the Razr HD Maxx has
- The Razr HD Maxx has a 4.7-inch screen that uses Super AMOLED HD technology
- The Apple iPhone 5 runs on Apple’s new A6 SoC
- The A6 SoC is said to provide the iPhone 5 with CPU and graphics that are 2x faster
- The Droid Razr HD Maxx has a Snapdragon S4 dual-core processor which clocks at 1.5 GHz
- The iPhone 5 has a 8 MP rear camera that has a f/2.4 aperture as well as a backside illumination sensor
- It also has a 720p HD front camera
- The Droid Razr HD Maxx has a 8 MP rear camera and a 1.3 MP front camera
- For RAM, the Droid Razr HD Maxx has 1 GB
- There is a 32 GB of on-board storage on the Droid Razr HD Maxx and a micro SD slot
- The Droid Razr HD Maxx has 3,300 mAh battery
Verdict: The SoC’s of these two devices are similar so they’ll probably perform similarly in raw speed. However, the Droid Razr HD Maxx wins this round as it has an NFC chip, expandable storage, and great battery life.
- The iPhone 5 uses Apple’s new iOS 6
- Furthermorem, the new iOS 6 features an improved version of Siri, allows for FaceTime via a cellular network, turn-by-turn navigation and has better Facebook integration
- The iPhone 5 also has Passbook, which will let you store and access digital copies of things such as movie tickets, airline tickets and boarding passes, coupons, and vouchers
- Passbook is a great addition, especially seeing as Android users have been able to access similar services through third-party or Google-developed apps
- For the iPhone 5, there is no a Do Not Disturb feature. This allows users to set a schedule for the phone to go on silent mode at which point it will also stop the notification
- Razr Maxx HD has a light skin that runs on top of Android OS
- Moreover, Razr Maxx HD ships with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich but an upgrade to Android 4.1 is forthcoming
- The Razr Maxx HD has Google Chrome preloaded
Verdict: This is a tie. For some users, the polished iOS experience is better than the complex Android experience. If the Razr HD Maxx already came with Andorid4.1, we might give it the win. Both the OS’s of these devices are great and the choice boils down to taste or personal preference.
- Apple has a great platform but it locks down the users
- Except for songs from iTune, most of the digital content on Apple devices won’t run on other, non-iOS devices
- Google has made the Google Play Store better with more multimedia content
- Google Play vouchers make it easier to purchase digital goods
Verdict: This is a tie. Apple has the upper hand by a small margin but Google is catching up.
Simplicity seems to be the mantra of Apple, and it shows in the iPhone 5. However, a lot of what Apple offers can already be found on Android.
Aside from hardware advantages, the Motorola Droid Razr HD also allows you to customize more experience as Android allows users to tweak the experience to their liking.
If you don’t want a big phone and the iPhones classy design really appeals to you, then you’re going to be very happy with the iPhone 5.
What do you think? Which of these two phones sound like they’ll suit you best?