Apple iPhone 5 And The Samsung Galaxy S3
Apple and Samsung are the leaders in the current smartphone market, accounting for 50 percent of the smartphones sold monthly. Apple is said to sell one iPhone for every two smartphones Samsung sells.
While it seems like you could call the two companies each other’s nemeses’, Samsung actually produces a lot of the components that Apple uses in both its iPads and iPhones. Recent legal troubles have soured the relationship and Apple is supposed to be looking to diversify their suppliers.
Apple has now released their Apple iPhone 5 and we in this review take a look at how it stands up when we compare it with the Samsung Galaxy S3.
Display and Design
- The Samsung Galaxy S3 has a 4.8-inch display
- The Galaxy S3’s display is a Super AMOLED HD
- The Galaxy S3’s display gets a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels
- The pixel density of the Galaxy S3 is 302 pixels per inch
- One disappointment regarding the Galaxy S3’s display is it still uses PenTile display instead of RGB matrix such as is found in other Samsung devices like the Galaxy Note 2
- All in all, the display on the Galaxy S3 has a good aspect ratio (16:9) and gets vibrant colors and high contrasts
- Some find Super AMOLED displays’ color reproduction is slightly off when we compare it to LCD displays
- The Apple iPhone 5 has a larger display when we compare it to previous iPhone models
- Previous iPhone models had 3.5-inch displays while the iPhone 5 now has a 4-inch display
- The resolution of the iPhone 5’s display is 1136 x 640
- The pixel density of the iPhone 5’s display is 330 pixels per inch
- The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the bigger device of the two
- The Galaxy S3’s measurements are 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm and it weighs 133 grams
- The iPhone 5 measures 123.8 x 58.5 x 7.6 mm and it weighs 112 grams
- Moreover, the iPhone 5 has slimmed down immensely and Apple claims it’s the slimmest smartphone available. While it is slimmer than the Galaxy S3, both the Oppo Finder (6.65 mm) and Motorola Droid RAZR (7.1 mm) are slimmer
If you want a big screen with very vivid colors, go for the Galaxy 3. If you want a phone with a slim design that can easily fit in your pocket, then go for the iPhone 5.
- There are two versions of the Samsung Galaxy S3 and they have different CPUs and GPUs
o International version: Exynos 4412 Quad SoC with a 1.4 quad-core A9 processor along with a Mali 400 MP GPU
o US version: Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 SoC with a 1.5 GHz dual-core Krait CPU along with an Adreno 220 GPU.
- The iPhone 5 has the new A6 SoC of Apple
- Apple claims the dual-core CPU in the A6 has twice the power of the dual-core processor they used for the iPhone
- The GPU inside the iPhone 5 is also to be twice as fast as the one in the iPhone 4S
- The Apple iPhone 5 will get better graphics performance than any Android device.
- The US version of the Galaxy S3 has LTE compatibility
- Apple has global LTE compatibility for the iPhone 5
- The Galaxy S3 and the iPhone 5 both come in three versions with regards to storage space
- Both the Galaxy S3 and the iPhone 5 offer 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB of onboard storage
- The Galaxy S3 also allows its users to expand their storage space using an SD card
- The Samsung Galaxy S3 has a 8 MP primary camera with a 2 MP secondary camera
- The Apple iPhone 5 has a 8 MP sensor with a f/2.4 aperture and a 5 element lens for its primary camera with a 720 p secondary camera
- Both cameras are not that impressive but should be fine for basic pointing and shooting
Verdict: When it comes to raw processing power, the iPhone 5 is not just the best of these two devices, but possibly the best of currently available smartphones. The iPhone 5 is also currently the best LTE capable smartphone.
- The Samsung Galaxy S3 has Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and uses the TouchWiz user interface
- The Samsung Galaxy S3’s schedule for an upgrade to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean in October
- The Apple iPhone 5 uses the new iOS 6
- The iOS 6 is good but the operating system remains locked. So users will be able to use a lot of Apple created, iOS-specific apps but that’s all
Verdict: If you don’t like being locked down, then the Galaxy S3 is the obvious choice.
Price and Release Date
- Samsung launched the international version of the Galaxy S3 in May of 2012 for the starting price of $600 for a 16 GB version
- While, the US version was launched in June of 2012 and was made available unlocked for around the same price
- The Apple will release the iPhone 5 on September 21
- The iPhone 5 will be released initially in the US and another eight countries
- By December of this year, the iPhone 5 will be available in around 100 markets worldwide
- The iPhone 5 at a price of $199 for the 16 GB version
- The 32 GB version of the iPhone 5 at a price of $299
- Moreover, the 62 GB version of the iPhone 5 at a price of $399
- All the above prices for the iPhone 5 are on-contract prices
There is no definitive answer to the question of which is better, the iPhone 5 or the Galaxy S3. It all boils down to your own personal preferences.
The Samsung Galaxy S3’s advantages are the bigger display and the greater ability to customize that its use of Android gives it.
The Apple iPhone 5’s advantages are its better, more optimized ecosystem, lack of LTE compromises and internal specs that are just a bit better than that of the Galaxy S3.
Which do you prefer? The iPhone 5? The Galaxy S3?