Archos 50b Platinum Review
Archos is not a name known by everybody, it is trying to make its own mark in the Android market. The latest device by Archos is Archos 50b Platinum, does it deliver enough? Read on to find out.
The description of Archos 50b Platinum includes:
- MediaTek quad-core 1.3GHz processor
- Android 4.4 operating system
- 512MB RAM, 4GB storage and an expansion slot for external memory
- 8 mm length; 73 mm width and 8.3 mm thickness
- A display of 5-inch and 540 x 960 pixels display resolution
- It weighs 160g
- Price of £119.99
- The design of the handset is cool.
- The chassis of the handset is completely made of plastic.
- It feels pretty durable and robust,
- The backplates are replaceable. They come in a variety of colours.
- Weighing 160g it feels slightly heavy.
- The curved edges of the device are slightly awkward to hold.
- There are three buttons beneath the screen for Home, Back and Menu functions.
- Power button is on the left edge.
- Volume button is on the right edge.
- The handset has a 5 inch screen with 540 x 960 pixels of display resolution.
- The display is not very nice, low budget is not really an excuse for low resolution screen now-a-days as Motorola is producing awesome screens at a really low price.
- Text clarity is not very good.
- Colours are not that sharp either.
- The back houses an 8 megapixels camera.
- On the front there is a 2 megapixel camera.
- The camera is very slow and jerky.
- Editing is also a frustratingly slow process.
- The editing app is very useful.
- The handset has MediaTek quad-core 1.3GHz
- The processor is accompanied by 512 MB RAM which is very less for a screen of this size. The Android 4.4 operating system is also very demanding.
- The performance is very slow and sluggish. Multitasking especially puts a strain on it.
- The device has 4 GB of built in storage.
- The memory can be increased by the addition of a microSD card.
- The 1900mAh removable battery is not very durable; it might not get you through the day with heavy use.
- The handset runs Android 4.4 operating system which makes it a little better.
- The phone supports Dual SIM.
- Archos has also applied its own custom Android skin which is a little messy.
- There are many pre-installed apps which are not really useful. They can be uninstalled.
There are major cutbacks in Archos 50b Platinum. Unfortunately the time has passed when budget devices were forgiven for their compromises; now-a-days companies like HTC and Motorola are struggling to give best specifications at low prices. At a time like this Archos has simply failed to deliver enough to be a recommended device.
Have a question or want to share your experience?
You can do so in the comment section box below