The Elephone P7000 is a mid-range device that uses an octa-core 64-bit processor from MediaTek. Combine this with a great GPU and 3 GB of RAM and you have a device that is excellent at multitasking.
We put the Elephone P7000 to the test and below are our findings on its over-all specs and performance.
- The Elephone P7000 has a metal bezel made of Magnalium which gives the phone the look and feel of a high-end device. Magnalium is an aluminium alloy which contains magnesium, copper, nickel and tin. Though this alloy is a little more expensive then plain aluminium, it is known for being strong and having a low density.
- According to Elephone, the P7000’s use of Magnalium ensures that it possesses “great strength and lightness” and that it “will not bend in your pocket”
- Magnalium is also said to have good electromagnetic shielding properties.
- In the front and over the display, the Elephone P7000 uses a toughened glass screen protector of Gorilla Glass 3 to protect from scratching.
- The Elephone P7000 comes in gold, white and cool grey.
- The home button on this device has a pulsing LED which can be configured to change colors when you either receive a notification, a message or a call.
- The Elephone P7000 stands at 155.8mm tall and 76.3 mm wide. It is about 8.9 mm thick.
- The Elephone P7000 has a 5.5 inch full HD display with a resolution of 1920×1080 for 400ppi.
- The definition and viewing angles you get with this display are good.
- The color reproduction of the display has some room for improvement The colors lack a certain vibrancy and the whites seem pale.
- The display’s brightness is fine for indoors but it still needs to be brightened a bit if you intend to use it outdoors.
- The Elephone P7000’s speakers are located at the bottom. There are two speaker grills but only one of these is an actual speaker.
- The sound quality you get from the speakers is good for a mid-range phone.
- When compared to a high-end phone, the music played on the Elephone P7000 can sound a little “tinny” and there is a notable lack of depth to the sound.
- The Elephone P7000 uses the MediaTek MT6752 which has an octa-core Cortex-A53 based processor coupled with a Mali-T760 GPU. Each of the Cortex-A53 cores clock at 1.7 GHz for a fast overall processing package.
- While the Cortex-A53 performs lower than the Cortex-A15, the Cortex-A17 and even the Cortex-A9, it is a good way to get into into 64-bit computing .
- The Cortex-A53 also works well with Android 5.0 Lollipop.
- The UI works smoothly and quickly.
- The device has 3GB of on-boar RAM which helps ensure that the device is capable of multi-tasking.
- The Elephone P7000 makes use of a 3450 mAh battery.
- This battery can last all day – morning to evening – with no problems.
- If you are a heavy gamer, the Elephone P7000 battery will last long enough for you to play 3D games for around 5 hours.
- If you are a heavy multimedia user, the Elephone P7000 battery will allow you to get around 5.5 hours of full HD YouTube streaming.
- The Elephone P7000 is a dual SIM phone which offers quad-band GSM (2G), quad-band 3G, on 850, 900, 1900 and 2100MHz; and also quad-band 4G LTE on 800/1800/2100 and 2600MHz.
- Because it has 3G and 4G, the Elephone P7000 will work in many countries in Europe and Asia. 3G coverage is also available with some networks in the US such as At&T and T-Mobile.
- The Elephone P7000’s GPS performance is okay. The Elephone P7000’s GPS can get a lock both outdoors and indoors, though there is a tendency for the indoor lock to fluctuate.
- It doesn’t have a gyroscope sensor so this phone can not be used with Google Cardboard and other VR applications.
- The Elephone P7000 comes with 16GB of flash.
- The Elephone P7000 has a micro-SD card slot which means you can extend its storage capacity up to 64GB.
- On-board storage is around 12GB.
- The Elephone P7000 has a 13 MP rear facing camera with a SONY IMX 214 sensor and this is coupled with a large f/2.0 aperture lens.
- The device also has a 5MP front facing camera.
- Though the pictures are crisp, they lack vibrancy. Using HDR can improve it somewhat.
- The device takes good low-light pictures due to the combination of the f/2.0 aperture and the support for ISO 1600. You will be able to take photos without the need for flash in many indoor settings.
- The rear camera can take videos in full HD at 30 frames per second.
- The camera app includes the usual HDR and Panorama and in addition offers options to include anti-shake, gesture shot, smile shot, auto scene deletion, and 40 picture continuous shooting.
- The video options included in the Elephone P7000 include noise reduction, time lapse mode, and EIS.
- The Elephone P7000 runs on a stock Android 5.0 Lollipop.
- Lollipop provides the device with the standard launcher and app drawer but it also has a few extras such as a fingerprint reader; Harlequin LED Notification, a pulsing notification LED; Smart Unlock functionality which will unlock the device upon coming into proximity of a trusted Bluetooth device; and screen-off wake gestures.
- The fingerprint reader works very well and it is quite easy to set up. It is located on the phone’s back, below the camera. The fingerprint reader of the Elephone P7000 is a 360 degree reader so it does not matter how your finger is placed on the sensor, your fingerprint will be read and recognized.
- The default security mechanism of the Elephone P7000 is the fingerprint unlock which uses the fingerprint reader. The phone only unlocks when it reads your fingerprint. Individual apps and functions such as galleries and messages can also be programmed to work with fingerprint unlock as well
- The device includes access to Google Play as well as all of Google’s other services like Gmail, YouTube and Google Maps thought most of them are not installed by default.
- The Elephone P7000 supports over-the-air updates. Elephone has already made new firmware releases available to the Elephone P7000 through this feature.
You can get an Elephone P7000 for around $230. Given how great the overall performance of this device is, this is a good price. The only real downside is the camera but unless that’s really important to you, the Elephone P7000 is a solid device that will work well.
What do you think about the Elephone P7000?