Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ vs Apple iPhone 6 Plus
The two devices are extremely similar yet extremely different, what will be the result if they are pitted against each other? Read the full review to find out.
- The design of S6 edge+ is very pleasing to the eyes on the other hand iPhone 6 plus is pure aluminium metal, the design is not as elegant but it is till impressive in its simplicity.
- The edge functionality of S6 edge+ is very impressive. It is the first phablet that has a curved edge screen.
- The physical material of the S6 edge+ is metal and glass. It feels robust in hand. Front and back are protected by Gorilla Glass.
- Both the handsets feel sturdy and robust in hand.
- S6 edge+ is a fingerprint magnet but then again the apple logo can’t stay smudge-proof either.
- The screen to body ratio of 6 plus 68.7%.
- The screen to body ratio for S6 edge+ is 75.6%.
- S6 plus measures 1 x 77.8mm in length and width while S6 edge+ measures 154.4 x 75.8mm. So they are almost similar in this field.
- Neither of the devices has a good grip.
- The thickness of S6 plus is 1mm while that of S6 edge+ is 6.9mm hence the latter feels a little bit more sleeker.
- Below the screen you will see a physical button for Home function on both handsets. The Home button also acts as a fingerprint scanner.
- Buttons for back and Menu functions are present on either side of the Home button on S6 edge+.
- The edge button positions are very similar, power button on both handsets is on right edge.
- Volume rocker button is on the left edge.
- Micro USB port, headphone jack and speaker placement on both handsets is on the bottom edge.
- On the left edge of 6 plus there is a mute button.
- S6 edge plus comes in colors of Black Sapphire, Gold Platinum, Silver Titan and White Pearl.
- 6 plus comes in three colours of gray, gold and silver.
- S6 edge+ has a 5.7 inch display screen.
- The resolution of the devices is 1440 x 2560 pixels.
- 6 Plus has LED-backlit IPS LCD, capacitive 5.5 inch touch screen.
- The display resolution is at 1080 x 1920 pixels.
- The pixel density on 6 Plus is 401ppi while on S6 edge plus is 515ppi.
- S6 edge plus is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 4.
- On S6 you will find Super AMOLED capacitive touch screen
- Maximum brightness of 6 plus is 574nits and minimum brightness is at 4 nits.
- S6 edge+ has maximum brightness at 502 nits which is excellent and the minimum brightness is at 1 nit.
- The viewing angles on S6 edge+ are better than 6 plus.
- There are a number of display modes to choose from on S6 edge+.
- Overall the display for both devices is great for multimedia activities like video view and image viewing, web browsing and eBook reading.
- S6 edge+ has a 16 megapixel camera at the rear while on the front there is a 5 megapixel camera.
- The camera performance of S6 edge+ is very very fast. No stutter was noticed.
- The feature of autofocus is very fast on S6 edge+.
- Optical image stabilization feature on S6 edge+ is also very good.
- Double tap on the Home button takes you straight to the camera app.
- The camera app in S6 edge+ is remarkable. It is filled with features and tweaks.
- The image quality on the front camera is very good.
- The camera has a wide aperture so group selfies are not a problem.
- There are so many modes.
- Editing image is very easy.
- Settings are very easy to find.
- Images quality from S6 edge+ is stupendous; colors are pleasing to the eyes, details are sharp and clear.
- The iPhone has an 8 megapixel camera on the back while the selfie camera is of only 1.2 megapixels.
- The iPhone camera app is very simple and there are not many features to boast of.
- The images produces by iPhone give more natural colours as compared to Samsung.
- iPhone can record videos at 1080p while Samsung can record HD and 4K videos.
- The Samsung camera gives more detailed images.
- The colours of the images on both camera are bright and crisp.
- S6 edge+ has Exynos 7420 chipset system.
- The processor on it is Quad-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53 & Quad-core 2.1 GHz Cortex-A57.
- The graphical processing unit is Mali-T760MP8.
- It has 4 GB RAM
- The chipset system on 6 plus is Apple A8.
- Dual-core 1.4 GHz Typhoon (ARM v8-based) is the processor.
- 6 plus has 1 GB RAM.
- The graphic unit on 6 plus is PowerVR GX6450 (quad-core graphics).
- The performance of both devices is stunning. On paper the 6 plus’s processor might seen a little weak compared to what Samsung has offered but it fares very well.
- There is just a tiny fault with 6 plus multitasking seem to put a bit pressure on the processor.
- Heavy games run very smoothly.
- The graphic unit of Apple is a little better than Samsung’s, but Samsung has proved the power of its processor. There is not even a single lag in its performance, multi-tasking with Quad HD display is not an easy task but Samsung handled it pretty nicely.
Memory & Battery
- Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ comes in two versions in terms of the built in memory; a 32 GB version and a 64 GB version.
- iPhone comes in 3 versions; 16GB 64 GB and 128 GB.
- Unfortunately memory cannot be enhanced on both devices as there is no slot for external storage.
- S6 edge+ has a 3200mAh non removable battery.
- The constant screen on time for S6 edge+ is 9 hours and 29 minutes.
- 6 plus has a 2915mAh non removable battery.
- The constant screen on time for Apple is 6 hours and 32 minutes.
- The time to charge the battery from 0-100% on S6 edge+ is 80minutes while on 6 plus it is 171 minutes.
- Both the devices also support wireless charging.
- The battery life of 6 edge+ is superior to 6 plus.
- S6 edge+ runs Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop) operating system.
- 6 plus runs iOS 8.4 which is upgradable to iOS 9.0.2.
- Samsung has used its trademark TouchWiz interface.
- The Android interface is very flexible and comes with tons of features which are loved by all.
- The apple interface is very simple. There are not many features to boast of.
- Fingerprint scanner is embedded in the home button on both devices.
- The edge functionality on S6 edge+ is very impressive.
- Both handsets support 4GLTE.
- Browsing experience is fantastic on both devices, the Safari browser is a smoother in terms of scrolling zooming as compared to Chrome.
- S6 edge+ supports the features of dual band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, Beidou system, NFC, GPS and Glonass. 6 plus also has all these features.
Wow! Some bad boys we have here. Both of the devices are a killer, high end market really needs to be scared of these two, full of specifications and packed with features. On the whole both of the devices are amazing but one just stood out from the other and that device is “Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+”. Samsung is really working hard and the effort show in the devices they are producing. Classy design, superb performance, excellent display, stunning camera quality, is there anyone who can find a fault with this device? So our pick of the day will be Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+.
Have a question or want to share your experience?
You can do so in the comment section box below