Samsung Galaxy Note 5 And Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Comparison
The latest innovation by Samsung is Galaxy Note 5, it is supposed to be the best Samsung phablet up-to date but some people might hesitate to join the Note 5 train as some of the features of Note 4 are still unforgettable. Is Note 5 really the worthy successor? Should you upgrade from Note 4 or not? Read the full review to find out.
- Note 5 has been designed in a modern way by Samsung, it is definitely the best designed handset in the galaxy series, this is not a small thing to say.
- Note 4 was the first handset by Samsung to leave the plastic body, it had its charisma but Note 5 has already tipped the scale toward itself in the design category.
- The physical material of the Note 5 is purely glass and metal. When light bounces off the shiny surface it gives shimmery effect.
- On the front and rear of Note 5 there is a Gorilla Glass covering, the backplate is shiny. It is a perfect example of modern aesthetics.
- Note 4 has aluminium body but the backplate is of plastic.
- Note 4 does not have a shiny surface but unlike Note 5 it is not a fingerprint magnet.
- Note 4 has a 5.7 inch screen while Note 5 has a 5.67 inch screen.
- The screen to body ratio of Note 4 is 74.2% while the Note 5 boasts 75.9%. A win is a win even by a small measure.
- Note 5 weighs 171g.
- Note 4 weighs 176g.
- Note 5 measures 7.5mm in thickness while Note 4 measures 8.5mm.
- The button position on the edges is the same on both phablets.
- Power button is on the right edge.
- Volume rocker button is on the left edge for both device. Note 5 has separate volume buttons while Note 4 has a single rocker button.
- The headphone jack is on the top edge of Note 4.
- Micro USB port, headphone jack and speaker placement is on the bottom edge of Note 5.
- On the left edge of both devices there is a slot for stylus pen but the Note 5 has the cool new push to eject feature.
- There is a rounded rectangular button beneath the screen for Home function. This button has a fingerprint scanner incorporated into it on both devices.
- On either side of the home button there are touch buttons for back and menu functions.
- One of the biggest advantages of Note 4 is that it has a removable back cover, removable battery and a slot for microSD card.
- Note 5 comes in Black Sapphire, Gold Platinum, Silver Titan and White Pearl colours.
- Note 4 comes in charcoal black, frosted white, bronze gold and blossom pink.
- The display of both devices is almost same.
- Note 5 has Super AMOLED display of 5.67 inches. The screen has Quad HD display resolution.
- Note 4 also has Super AMOLED display of 5.7 inches with the same display resolution.
- The pixel density Note 5 is 518ppi and that of Note 4 is 515ppi.
- Maximum brightness of Note 5 & Note 4 is 470nits and minimum brightness is at 2 nits.
- Both devices show the color temperature of 6722 Kelvin.
- Both of them have excellent viewing angles.
- So the display of both devices is on par with each other.
- Note 5 has a 16 megapixels camera on the back while the front holds a 5 megapixel camera.
- On Note 4 there is 16 megapixels camera at the back while there is 3.7 megapixel one at the front.
- Note 5 cameras have f/1.9 aperture while the Note 4 one has f/2.2 aperture.
- Both cameras have 2 main modes; Auto mode and Pro mode.
- Note 5 has features like slow motion, fast motion, HDR, Panorama, virtual shot and selective focus.
- Note 4 camera app has its own tweaks, dual camera, beauty face, rear cam selfie, HDR, Selective focus, Virtual tour and Panorama.
- The image quality of both handsets is on equal grounds.
- The colours calibration is almost same, in some areas Note 4 performed even better than Note 5.
- In perfect conditions both handsets give excellent shots.
- In lowlight conditions Note 4 gives better colours.
- In night shots Note 5 takes the lead by giving more accurate colors and sharp display.
- HDR shots by Note 5 are better than Note 4.
- The selfies of Note are more detailed as compared to Note 4. Their colours are more natural.
- Both devices can record HD and 4K videos.
- The videos produced by Note 5 are smoother due to advanced optical image stabilization while the videos of Note 4 are more accurate in terms of colours.
- The chipset system on Note 5 is Exynos 7420.
- Quad-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53 & Quad-core 2.1 GHz Cortex-A57 is the processor.
- The processor is accompanied by 4 GB RAM.
- The graphic unit is Mali-T760 MP8.
- The chipset system on Note 4 is Exynos 5433.
- The accompanying processor is Quad-core 2.7 GHz Krait 450,
Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A53 & Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A57.
- The Note 4 has 3 GB RAM and Mali-T760.
- Note 4 was a very powerful device when it was introduced but right now all the scores go in favor of Note 5.
- The performance of Note 5 is remarkable super fast and super smooth.
- Note 4 is also good but Note 5 has a more powerful processor.
- The graphic unit of Note 5 is a little more advanced as compared to Note 4.
Memory & Battery
- Note 5 comes in two version of built in memory 32 GB and 64 GB.
- The memory of Note 5 cannot be increased as there is no slot for microSD card.
- Note 4 comes in only the 32GB version but it has a micro SD card slot that can support a card of up to 128 GB.
- There will be no problem of memory shortage on Note 4.
- Note 5 has a 3000mAh non-removable battery.
- Note 4 has a 3220mAh removable battery.
- The total screen on time for Note 5 is 9 hours and 11 minutes, which is much more than its predecessor Note 4.
- Note 4 has 8 hours and 43 minutes of screen on time.
- The charging time from 0 to 100% for Note 5 is 81minutes while that of Note 4 is 95 minutes.
- Note 5 has the feature of wireless charging out of the box.
- Note 4 has Android 4.4.4 KitKat operating system while Note 5 runs Android OS, v5.1.1 (Lollipop).
- The operating system of Note 4 can be upgraded.
- Both handsets have Samsung’s trademark TouchWiz interface.
- Both handsets give good call quality.
- Note 5 has various features of GPS, Glonass, Bluetooth 4.2, dual band Wi-Fi, 4G LTE and NFC are present.
- Note 4 also has all the features except 4G LTE and the Bluetooth version is 4.1.
- Browsing experience is great on both devices.
- Both come with a stylus pen, there are so many features you can explore with this pen.
- Note 5 has a few new feature related to stylus for example you can write notes even when the screen is off, you can’t do this with Note 4.
Both Note 5 and Note 4 are feature rich phones. Note 4 has the advantage of removable battery and microSD while the design of Note 5 is certainly more premium. The performance of Note 5 is better, camera of both devices is equal, display is also on equal grounds but the battery life of Note 5 is more dependable. In the end we conclude that Note 5 is a worthy successor of Note 4, the upgrading option is totally up to you if you are ready to give up your microSD then you should definitely consider it.
Have a question or want to share your experience?
You can do so in the comment section box below